Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Edward W Bacon; Katherine Wadsworth Bacon; Leonard Bacon; David Glasgow Farragut|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Edward W Bacon
|Description:||1 box. 1 v. (145 leaves) ; octavo.|
In June 1865, with Bacon's regiment in Brownsville, his letters describe his dislike of the area, army mismanagement, the sending of black troops into Texas "well-hidden from their friends," and his duty with the General Court Martial.
The collection also contains two photographs of Bacon, an obituary, and genealogical materials, as well as a typescript copy of Bacon's diary for the period July 1861 to March 1863.
The letterbook, for the period 1861 to 1863, contains copies of letters written to his father, other family members, and friends while Bacon served on board the "Iroquois," and on Admiral Farragut's flagship, the "Hartford." He described in detail various sea battles as well as Southern cities (e.g., New Orleans) and scenery. Bacon also referred to his leadership of the first troops that landed in Nashville, Tenn., to supervise the surrender of that city, his political opinions, daily activities, and naval voyage to the Carribean in 1861. The volume contains a list of stores sent to a military hospital in New Haven, Conn., a map depicting a naval encounter with the enemy, and several pages of notes on religion and philosophy apparently entered at a later date.
- Bacon, Edward W. -- (Edward Woolsey), -- 1843-1887.
- Bacon, Katherine Wadsworth, -- b. 1848.
- Bacon, Leonard, -- 1802-1881.
- Farragut, David Glasgow, -- 1801-1870.
- Hartford (Ship)
- Iroquois (Ship)
- United States. -- Army.
- United States. -- Army -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States. -- Army. -- Colored Infantry Regiment, 117th (1864-1867)
- United States. -- Army. -- Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 29th (1864-1865)
- United States. -- Navy.
- United States. -- Navy -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- African Americans.
- Courts-martial and courts of inquiry.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- African Americans.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns.
- Brownsville (Tex.)
- Nashville (Tenn.)
- New Haven (Conn.)
- New Orleans (La.)
- Richmond (Va.)
- South Carolina.