Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||George Francis Fitzgerald; William Huggins, Sir; Thomas Henry Huxley; Lyon Playfair Playfair, Baron; George Gabriel Stokes, Sir|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||The papers were collected by Ramsay's biographer, Morris W. Travers (1872-1961), who had the main series bound up into volumes, adding introductory and explanatory notes. Traver's 'Life of Sir William Ramsay' (1956) was largely based on these papers. Traver's own papers were presented after his death, and were added to the Ramsay papers. They include papers on his work at University College Bristol and at the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore. The Library also possesses a draft autobiography by Travers 'a document in preparation during the last 5 years of his life and never completed.' This concentrates on student days at University College London, and on Travers's collaboration with Ramsay in work on the rare gases, 1895-1900.|
- Fitzgerald, George Francis, -- 1851-1901.
- Huggins, William, -- Sir, -- 1824-1910.
- Huxley, Thomas Henry, -- 1825-1895.
- Playfair, Lyon Playfair, -- Baron, -- 1818-1998.
- Stokes, George Gabriel, -- Sir, -- 1819-1903.
- University College, London.
- University of Glasgow -- Study and teaching -- 19th century.
- Universität Tübingen.
- Chemical elements.
- Gases, Rare -- Research.
- Physical instruments. -- Photographs.
- Physical laboratories. -- Photographs.