Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
This collection documents the life of Bankhead, particularly his career as a U.S. Representative, with extensive coverage of his tenure as Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. Included in his records as a U.S. Representative is a great amount of information on U.S. and Ala. politics, agriculture, military conscription, unemployment, roads and highways, prohibition, drainage and reclamation, vocational education, and Tallulah Bankhead.
Clippings and scrapbooks also contain information on the lives and careers of John H. Bankhead, Sr., John H. Bankhead, Jr., and Tallulah Bankhead (1902-1968).
Photographs include numerous members of Congress, officials in the administrations of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt, and foreign heads of state.
Of significant interest is correspondence between Bankhead and Democratic party and Congressional leaders concerning political campaigns, Democratic organization of the House of Representatives, and New Deal legislation.
- Bankhead, John Hollis, -- 1842-1920.
- Bankhead, John Hollis, -- 1872-1946.
- Bankhead, Tallulah, -- 1902-1968.
- Black, Hugo LaFayette, -- 1886-1971.
- Ford, Henry, -- 1863-1947.
- George -- VI, -- King of Great Britain, -- 1895-1952.
- Heflin, Thomas, -- 1869-1951.
- Hill, Lister, -- 1894-1984.
- Hoover, Herbert, -- 1874-1964.
- Pius -- XI, -- Pope, -- 1857-1939.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. -- (Franklin Delano), -- 1882-1945.
- Smith, Alfred Emanuel, -- 1873-1944.
- Wilson, Woodrow, -- 1856-1924.
- Alabama. -- Department of Education.
- Alabama Polytechnic Institute.
- Alabama Power Company.
- American Farm Bureau Federation.
- American Federation of Labor.
- Anti-saloon League of America.
- Bankhead National Highway Association, Inc.
- Democratic National Committee (U.S.)
- Democratic National Congressional Committee.
- State Democratic Executive Committee of Alabama.
- Tennessee Valley Authority.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House.
- United States. -- Department of Agriculture.
- United States. -- Department of the Interior.
- United States. -- Department of Labor.
- United States. -- Department of State.
- United States. -- Farm Security Administration.
- United States. -- National Youth Administration.
- Reconstruction Finance Corporation.
- United States. -- Works Progress Administration.
- University of Alabama.
- African Americans.
- Agriculture -- Alabama.
- Coal mines and mining -- United States.
- Cotton -- Southern States.
- Educational law and legislation -- United States.
- Political campaigns -- Alabama.
- Engineering experiment stations.
- Farm tenancy -- Economic aspects -- United States.
- Hydroelectric power plants -- Alabama.
- Liquor laws -- United States.
- Reclamation of land -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Roads -- United States -- Design and construction.
- Veterans -- United States.
- Vocational education -- United States.
- Alabama -- Politics and government.
- William B. Bankhead National Forest (Ala.)
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial (S.D.)
- Muscle Shoals (Ala.)
- Panama Canal (Panama)
- United States -- Emigration and immigration.
- United States -- Politics and government.