Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Brooks Atkinson; H J Biberman; Vera Caspary; Theodore Dreiser; Harry Golden; Matthew Josephson; Ring Lardner, Jr.; John Howard Lawson; Albert Maltz; Joseph L Mankiewicz; Lewis Mumford; Art Young; Brooks Atkinson; H J Biberman; Vera Caspary; Theodore Dreiser; Harry Golden; Matthew Josephson; Ring Lardner, Jr.; John Howard Lawson; Albert Maltz; Joseph L Mankiewicz; Lewis Mumford; Art Young|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||2.4 c.f. (6 archives boxes)|
The collection includes correspondence, writings, and other files. Present are manuscripts for two major novels, Haunch, Paunch, and Jowl (1923), and Bride of the Sabbath (1951), scripts for several stage plays, and only a few screenplays and outlines. Annotated research files, clippings, and notes on Judaism and psychiatry illuminate the socio-political themes which were prominent in Ornitz's work. Also of interest are files which demonstrate his method of character development. Other files relate to Theodore Dreiser's investigation of the labor conditions in Harlan County, Kentucky, in 1931, and to the Hollywood Ten trial.
The correspondence contains numerous exchanges with publishers such as Rinehart & Co., some references to Ornitz's experience as a screenwriter during the 1930s, and personal correspondence from the period of his imprisonment. Correspondents of note include Brooks Atkinson, Herbert Biberman, Vera Caspary, Harry Golden, Matthew Josephson, Ring Lardner, Jr., John Howard Lawson, Albert Maltz, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Lewis Mumford, and Art Young.
- Atkinson, Brooks, -- 1894-1984.
- Biberman, H. J. -- (Herbert J.)
- Caspary, Vera, -- 1899-1987.
- Dreiser, Theodore, -- 1871-1945.
- Golden, Harry, -- 1902-1981.
- Josephson, Matthew, -- 1899-1978.
- Lardner, Ring, -- Jr., -- 1915-2000.
- Lawson, John Howard, -- 1894-1977.
- Maltz, Albert, -- 1908-1985.
- Mankiewicz, Joseph L.
- Mumford, Lewis, -- 1895-1990.
- Young, Art, -- 1866-1943.
- Rinehart & Company, Inc.
- Bride of the Sabbath.
- Haunch, paunch, and jowl.
- Coal mines and mining -- Kentucky.
- Prisoners -- United States.
- Strikes and lockouts -- Miners -- Kentucky.
- Harlan County (Ky.)
- Motion pictures.
- Motion pictures -- Censorship.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Coal mines and mining.
- Strikes and lockouts -- Miners.
- Kentucky -- Harlan County.
- United States.