Find a copy in the library
Manuscripts for publication
|Named Person:||John Taylor Arms; Ralph Avery; Isabel Bishop; Charles Burchfield; John DePol; Arthur L Guptill; Norman Kent; Rockwell Kent; Janice Lovoos; Roy M Mason; Henry C Pitz; Norman Rockwell; Ernest William Watson; Coulton Waugh; Frederic Whitaker; Edward Winter; Andrew Wyeth; James D Havens|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||13.75 linear ft.|
Kent corresponded with artists (John Taylor Arms, Ralph Avery, Isabel Bishop, Charles E. Burchfield, John DePol, James D. Havens, Roy M. Mason, Coulton Waugh, Edward Winter, Andrew Wyeth); libraries and art collections (Albright-Knox Art Gallery, Archives of American Art, National Gallery of Art, Old Town Galleries, Rochester Memorial Art Gallery); and educational institutions (Art Students League of New York, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Pratt Institute, Rochester Institute of Technology, Syracuse University).
Kent also corresponded with art organizations (American Institute of Graphic Arts, American Watercolor Society, Prairie Print Makers, Print Club of Rochester), and the editorial staff of American Artist (Arthur Guptill, Janice Lovoos, Henry Pitz, Ernest W. Watson, Frederic Whitaker).
Artwork contains inventories and lists of Kent's work, 16 of his drawings and prints, and six examples of the work of unidentified artists. The inventories and lists pertain to works that Kent loaned for exhibition, those consigned for sale at a commercial gallery, and collections in which he is represented.
Writings feature drafts and published essays as well as book review manuscripts. Most of the writings appeared in American Artist or other periodicals, and exhibition catalogs. Also included are a journal which Kent kept on a 1963 trip to Scandinavia and an undated notebook with drafts of miscellaneous writings.
Memorabilia includes calendars, financial material, photographs, and printed material. The latter includes clippings and exhibition announcements and catalogs for Kent's one-man and group shows.
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery.
- American Institute of Graphic Arts.
- American Watercolor Society.
- Archives of American Art.
- Arms, John Taylor, -- 1887-1953.
- Art Students League (New York, N.Y.)
- Avery, Ralph.
- Bishop, Isabel, -- 1902-1988.
- Burchfield, Charles, -- 1893-1967.
- DePol, John, -- 1913-2004.
- Guptill, Arthur L. -- (Arthur Leighton), -- 1891-1956.
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
- Kent, Norman, -- 1903-1972 -- Archives.
- Kent, Rockwell, -- 1882-1971.
- Library of Congress.
- Lovoos, Janice.
- Mason, Roy M., -- 1886-1972.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.)
- National Gallery of Art (U.S.)
- Pitz, Henry C. -- (Henry Clarence), -- 1895-1976.
- Prairie Print Makers.
- Pratt Institute.
- Print Club of Rochester.
- Rochester Institute of Technology.
- Rockwell, Norman, -- 1894-1978.
- Syracuse University.
- University of Rochester. -- Memorial Art Gallery.
- Watson, Ernest William, -- 1884-1969.
- Waugh, Coulton, -- 1896-1973.
- Whitaker, Frederic.
- Winter, Edward.
- Wyeth, Andrew, -- 1917-2009.
- Art -- Societies, etc.
- Art, American -- 20th century.
- Art publishing -- United States.
- Artists -- United States.
- Block printing -- United States -- 20th century.
- Graphic arts -- United States.
- Illustrators -- United States.
- Painting, American.
- Painting, American -- 20th century.
- Periodical editors -- United States.
- Printmakers -- United States.
- Sculpture, American.
- Sculpture, American -- 20th century.
- Watercolor painting, American -- 20th century.
- Watercolorists -- United States.
- Wood-engravers -- United States.
- Wood-engraving -- United States -- 20th century.
- Wood-engraving, American -- 20th century.
- American artist.
- Havens, James D.
- Old Town Galleries.