Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John Vincent Carroll; Florence Eldridge; Jose Ferrer; Moss Hart; Elia Kazan; Alfred Lunt; Albert Maltz; Burgess Meredith; Laurence Oliver; Geraldine Page; Arthur Shields; Margaret Webster; William Shakespeare|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||4.2 c.f. (11 archives boxes), 2 reels of microfilm, and 3 tape recordings.|
Personal papers include general letters, contracts, miscellaneous biographical records, a scrapbook concerning his eulogy of S. N. Behrman, and brief papers of two groups of which he was an officer: the Independent Citizens Committee of the Arts, Sciences, and Professions and the Stop Censorship Committee. The folder on the censorship committee, which was concerned with the Hollywood blacklist caused by the investigations of HUAC, includes a tape of a 1948 meeting at which Florence Eldridge, Jose Ferrer, Moss Hart, Albert Maltz, Burgess Meredith, and Margaret Webster spoke.
There is also a group of correspondence, financial records, and a magazine article concerning Choate's experiences with the Old Vic Theatre. Prominent correspondents scattered through the professional papers include Barry Fitzgerald, Moss Hart, Robert Edmond Jones, Elia Kazan, Alfred Lunt, Burgess Meredith, Sir Laurence Olivier, and Geraldine Page. Correspondence, 1938-1953, with Irish playwright John Vincent Carroll and co-producer Arthur Shields refers to productions on which they collaborated.
- Carroll, John Vincent.
- Eldridge, Florence.
- Ferrer, Jose, -- 1912- .
- Hart, Moss, -- 1904-1961.
- Juno and the paycock.
- Kazan, Elia.
- Lunt, Alfred.
- Maltz, Albert, -- 1908-1985.
- Margaret Webster Shakespeare Company.
- Meredith, Burgess, -- 1907-1997.
- Miss Liberty.
- Old Vic Theatre (London, England)
- Oliver, Laurence, -- 1907- .
- Page, Geraldine.
- Shields, Arthur, -- 1896-1970.
- Theater management.
- Theater -- Production and direction.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Webster, Margaret, -- 1905-1972.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Dramatic production.
- Blacklisting of entertainers -- United States.
- Independent Citizens Committee of the Arts, Sciences, and Professions.
- Stop Censorship Committee.