Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Alvah Cecil Bessie; H J Biberman; Michael Blankfort; Frank Capra; Raymond Clapper; Lester Cole; Howard Fast; Albert Eugene Kahn; Robert Walker Kenney; Ring Lardner, Jr.; Emmett Lavery; Carey McWilliams; Alexander Meiklejohn; Frank Ross; Adrian Scott; Frank Sinatra; George Sklar; Philip Van Doren Stern; Shepard Traube; Dalton Trumbo; Robert Penn Warren; Glenway Westcott|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Albert Maltz; Margaret Larkin
|Description:||7.2 c.f. (18 archives boxes and 1 flat box), 3 reels of microfilm (35mm), 3 tape recordings, and photographs, posters, and sketches; plus additions of 0.1 c.f.|
Correspondence covers the period 1936 to 1985 and provides information on development of some films and writings, Maltz's imprisonment for contempt of HUAC and response to the Blacklist, and his continued relations with other members of the Ten such as Alvah Bessie, Lester Cole, Ring Lardner, Jr., and Dalton Trumbo. Other prominent correspondents include Michael Blankfort, Frank Capra, Raymond Clapper, Howard Fast, Albert Kahn, Robert Kenney, Emmett Lavery, Carey McWilliams, Alexander Meiklejohn, Frank Ross, Frank Sinatra, George Sklar, Philip Van Doren Stern, Shepard Traube, Robert Penn Warren, and Glenway Westcott.
Papers of Maltz's first wife, Margaret Larkin Maltz, consist of files collected as executive secretary of the Theatre Union, letters of Maltz while he was in prison, and speeches she made in his defense. Her theatrical files include many press releases about various Theatre Union productions (including many Maltz plays and Berthold Brecht's "Mother"), a financial statement, and other writings about the theater.
The processed portion is summarized above and is described in the register. Additional accessions are described below.
- Bessie, Alvah Cecil, -- 1904-1985.
- Biberman, H. J. -- (Herbert J.)
- Blankfort, Michael, -- 1907-1982.
- Capra, Frank, -- 1897-1991.
- Clapper, Raymond, -- 1892-1944.
- Cole, Lester, -- 1904-1985.
- Fast, Howard, -- 1914-2003.
- Kahn, Albert Eugene, -- 1912-1979.
- Kenney, Robert Walker, -- 1901-
- Lardner, Ring, -- Jr., -- 1915-2000.
- Lavery, Emmett, -- 1902-
- McWilliams, Carey, -- 1905-1980.
- Meiklejohn, Alexander, -- 1872-1964.
- Ross, Frank.
- Scott, Adrian.
- Sinatra, Frank, -- 1915-1998.
- Sklar, George, -- 1908-1988.
- Stern, Philip Van Doren, -- 1900-1984.
- Traube, Shepard, -- 1907-1983.
- Trumbo, Dalton, -- 1905-1976.
- Warren, Robert Penn, -- 1905-1989.
- Westcott, Glenway, -- 1901-
- Exodus (Motion picture)
- This gun for hire (Motion picture)
- Prisoners -- United States.
- Motion pictures -- Censorship.
- Theater -- Production and direction.
- Theatre Union.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.
- Blacklisting of authors -- United States.
- Motion picture plays.
- Execution of Private Slovik (Motion picture)
- Mother (Play)
- Robe (Motion picture)
- Destination Tokyo (Motion picture)
- Pride of the marines (Motion picture)