Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Benjamin Quarles|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Leslie H Jr Fishel
|Description:||4.8 c.f. (12 archives boxes) 15 photographs (2 folders), and. 1 drawing (1 folder)|
Included are personal correspondence including extensive letters regarding his service in the Navy during World War II, professional correspondence, speeches and writings, and papers pertaining to activities for Oberlin College, the First Congregational Church of Madison, the Friends of the Urban League in Madison, and the University YMCA. Many of the speeches were delivered as a representative of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin or as president of Heidelberg College. The writings reflect his interest and knowledge of African-American history and contemporary racial issues. Included is correspondence with Benjamin Quarles, co-author with Fishel of "The Negro American." Photographs in this collection include images of Fishel during his naval service, portraits, and group pictures. There is also a caricature of Fishel when he became director of the Society.
- Quarles, Benjamin.
- African Americans -- History -- Study and teaching.
- United States -- Race relations.
- College presidents -- Ohio.
- Presidential libraries -- Ohio.
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives.
- Madison Urban League (Wis.)
- State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
- Young Men's Christian Association (Madison, Wis.)
- First Congregational Church (Madison, Wis.)
- Heidelberg College.
- Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center (Fremont, Ohio)
- Oberlin College.
- History -- Societies, etc.