Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Herbert Block; Marquis William Childs; Henry Steele Commager; Marshall Field; J William Fulbright; Hubert H Humphrey; Lyndon B Johnson; Joseph McCarthy; Joseph Pulitzer; Arthur M Schlesinger, Jr.; Adlai E Stevenson; Stuart Symington|
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Archival Material, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||5.6 c.f. (13 archives boxes, 2 volumes) and 9 photographs; plus additions of 0.2 c.f.|
Well known for his columns on civil liberties and McCarthyism, Lasch also wrote in opposition to the Vietnam War and in 1966 was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his editorials on that subject.
Correspondence, 1942-1971, is both general and from readers. Among the prominent letter writers are Herbert L. Block, Marquis W. Childs, Henry Steele Commager, J. William Fulbright, Hubert H. Humphrey, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., Adlai E. Stevenson, and W. Stuart Symington. Office memoranda include exchanges with Joseph Pulitzer, Sr., Marshall Field III, and members of their respective staffs.
Documenting his writings are editorial reprints; free-lance articles, particularly for "The Progressive," "The Reporter," and "The Nation"; and several unpublished manuscripts. Indicative of his research methodology are subject files and notes on civil rights, national defense, McCarthyism, pacifism during the Vietnam War, federal aid to education, the presidential campaigns of 1952 and 1956, the National Conference of Editorial Writers, and his Pulitzer Prize award.
Photographs include images of a meeting between Lasch and President Lyndon B. Johnson, at the dinner for his Pulitzer Prize, and as part of a panel interviewing Hubert Humphrey.
The processed portion of this collection is summarized above, dates 1940-1971, and is described in the register. Additional accessions date 1965-1991 and are described below.
- Block, Herbert, -- 1909- .
- Childs, Marquis William, -- 1903- .
- Commager, Henry Steele, -- 1902-1998.
- Field, Marshall, -- 1893- .
- Fulbright, J. William -- (James William), -- 1905- .
- Humphrey, Hubert H. -- (Hubert Horatio), -- 1911-1978.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. -- (Lyndon Baines), -- 1908-1973.
- McCarthy, Joseph, -- 1908-1957.
- Pulitzer, Joseph, -- 1847-1911.
- Schlesinger, Arthur M., -- Jr. -- (Arthur Meier), -- 1917-2007. .
- Stevenson, Adlai E. -- (Adlai Ewing), -- 1900-1965.
- Symington, Stuart, -- 1901-1988.
- National Conference of Editorial Writers (U.S.)
- Chicago sun-times.
- The nation.
- The progressive.
- The reporter.
- St. Louis post-dispatch.
- American newspapers -- Illinois -- Chicago.
- Elections -- United States -- 1952.
- Elections -- United States -- 1956.
- American newspapers -- Missouri -- Saint Louis.
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Public opinion.
- Pacifism -- United States.
- Civil rights -- United States.
- Federal aid to education.
- United States -- Defenses.