Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Speeches, addresses, etc., American
|Named Person:||Mary McLeod Bethune; Herbert Covington Bonner; Chester Bowles; Ralph J Bunche; George Washington Carver; Dwight D Eisenhower; Crystal Dreda Bird Fauset; Henry Ford; William Hastie; William Henry Huff; Watkins G Hunt; Lyndon B Johnson; Mordecai W Johnson; John F Kennedy; Ira Latimer; Louis R Mehlinger; Richard M Nixon; Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis; Frederick D Patterson; Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.; Paul Robeson; Jackie Robinson; Arthur B Spingarn; Harry S Truman; Frank C Walker; Walter White|
|Material Type:||Biography, Manuscript|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William L Dawson; Christine Ray Davis; Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity.; Capital Press Club.; Democratic Party (U.S.); National Association for the Adancement of Colored People.
|Description:||ca. 5 linear ft.|
Also includes legislative material, including civil rights bills, resolutions, motions, and reports supported by Dawson; correspondence from constituents and colleagues relating to Dawson and his colleagues' opinions of various bills and his support of anti-lynching, anti-poll tax, and fair employment legislation; and a history of his voting record. Also includes subject files relating to Dawson's interest in Ralph J. Bunche, Paul Robeson, and Jackie Robinson, including a transcription of Robinson's testimony before the House Committee on Un-American Activities. Also includes photographs, including Dawson addressing the House Government Operations Committee and Dawson with Presidents Truman, Kennedy, and Johnson.
Also includes the papers of Christine R. Davis, including personal papers (biographical sketches, newspaper articles, and a diary (1952) of Davis' overseas trip with a subcommittee of the House Expenditures Committee (later the Government Operations Committee), chaired by Rep. Bonner), correspondence with Mary McLeod Bethune, Jacqueline and John Kennedy, Adam Clayton Powell, and Arthur Spingarn, speeches, events material (working papers and invitation lists to political events), organizational material (1952-1970), programs (1949-1963), and daily reminders (1954-1972), relating to Davis' role in Washington and Chicago politics and as Dawson's congressional secretary and chief of staff of the House Government Operations Committee.
Also includes artifacts (1950-1970), including plaques presented to Dawson by Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity and the Capital Press Club, a trophy (1952) from the Maryland State Conference, NAACP, and a framed, signed photograph (1970) of Richard Nixon. Also includes campaign material, including two broadsides (ca. 1944), an anti-Adam C. Powell flyer, and a sample Democratic Party ballot (1948). Topics focus on Dawson's service in the House of Representatives (78th-90th Congresses) and as chair of the House Committee on Government Operations.
Correspondents include Chester Bowles, Crystal Bird Fauset, Henry Ford, William Hastie, William Henry Huff, Watkins Hunt, Mordecai Johnson, Ira Latimer, Louis Mehlinger, F.D. Patterson, Frank Walker, and Walter White.
- Advertising, Political -- Mississippi.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- African Americans -- Employment -- Law and legislation.
- African Americans on postage stamps.
- Business travel.
- Democracy -- United States.
- Discrimination in employment -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Political campaigns -- United States.
- Funeral rites and ceremonies -- United States.
- Lynching -- United States.
- Poll tax -- Law and legislation -- United States.
- Presidents -- United States -- Election.
- Retirement -- United States.
- Voyages and travels.
- Representatives, U.S. Congress -- Illinois.
- Illinois -- Politics and government.
- Mississippi -- Politics and government.
- Washington (D.C.) -- Politics and government.
- United States. -- Congress -- Biography.
- United States. -- Congress -- Committees.
- United States. -- Congress -- Constituent communication.
- United States. -- Congress -- Elections.
- United States. -- Congress -- Officials and employees.
- United States. -- Congress -- Records and correspondence.
- United States. -- Congress -- Voting.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House -- Resolutions.
- Bethune, Mary McLeod, -- 1875-1955 -- Correspondence.
- Bonner, Herbert Covington, -- 1891-1965.
- Bowles, Chester, -- 1901-1986 -- Correspondence.
- Bunche, Ralph J. -- (Ralph Johnson), -- 1904-1971.
- Carver, George Washington, -- 1864?-1942 -- On postage stamps.
- Eisenhower, Dwight D. -- (Dwight David), -- 1890-1969.
- Fauset, Crystal Dreda Bird, -- 1893-1965 -- Correspondence.
- Ford, Henry, -- 1863-1947 -- Correspondence.
- Hastie, William, -- 1904-1976 -- Correspondence.
- Huff, William Henry -- Correspondence.
- Hunt, Watkins G. -- Correspondence.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. -- (Lyndon Baines), -- 1908-1973 -- Correspondence.
- Johnson, Mordecai W. -- (Mordecai Wyatt), -- 1890-1976 -- Correspondence.
- Kennedy, John F. -- (John Fitzgerald), -- 1917-1963.
- Latimer, Ira, -- 1906- -- Correspondence.
- Mehlinger, Louis R. -- Correspondence.
- Nixon, Richard M. -- (Richard Milhous), -- 1913-1994.
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, -- 1929-1994 -- Correspondence.
- Patterson, Frederick D. -- (Frederick Douglass), -- 1901-1988 -- Correspondence.
- Powell, Adam Clayton, -- Jr., -- 1908-1972.
- Robeson, Paul, -- 1898-1976.
- Robinson, Jackie, -- 1919-1972.
- Spingarn, Arthur B. -- (Arthur Barnett), -- 1878-1971 -- Correspondence.
- Truman, Harry S., -- 1884-1972.
- Walker, Frank C., -- 1886-1959 -- Correspondence.
- White, Walter, -- 1893-1955 -- Correspondence.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Expenditures in the Executive Departments.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Government Operations.
- United States. -- Congress. -- House. -- Committee on Un-American Activities.