Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Horace Binney; John Innes Clark; Dorothea Lynde Dix; Esther Coxe Binney Hare; George Harrison Hare; Horace Binney Hare; J I Clark Hare; Margaret Willing Hare; Robert Hare; Robert Hare; Thomas Willing|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||ca. 1300 letters; 53 v.|
The Willing family letters (1744-1863, ca. 460 items) are diverse, concerning family matters, business, society, comments on the Civil War, etc. There are numerous letters from Thomas Willing, many concerning his banking career, as President of the Bank of North America and later at the first Bank of the United States.
The Hare family letters (1781-1890, ca. 800 items) are more extensive and diverse, including much on travel in the U.S. and elsewhere. There is a letter from Robert Hare, Jr. conerning steam-engines, and letters from Horace Binney Hare concerning his education at Harvard, 1860; his trip to San Francisco and the West, 1862; and numerous letters while a soldier in the Civil War. There are many letters from Horace Binney to his daughter Esther, who was married to John Innes Clark Hare, concerning family travel and court cases. There are also letters from outside the family, such as those from Dorothea L. Dix.
- Binney, Horace, -- 1780-1875.
- Clark, John Innes.
- Dix, Dorothea Lynde, -- 1802-1887.
- Hare, Esther Coxe Binney.
- Hare, George Harrison.
- Hare, Horace Binney.
- Hare, J. I. Clark -- (John Innes Clark)
- Hare, Margaret Willing, -- 1753-1816.
- Hare, Robert, -- 1752-1811.
- Hare, Robert, -- 1781-1858.
- Willing, Thomas, -- 1731-1821.
- First Colored Wesley Methodist Church of Philadelphia.
- Flint (Ship)
- Harvard University.
- Philadelphia (Pa.). -- Councils. -- Common Council.
- United States (Ship)
- African American churches -- United States.
- Banks and banking -- United States -- 19th century.
- Science -- United States -- 19th century.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- San Francisco (Calif.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- West (U.S.) -- Description and travel -- 19th century.