Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Drafts (preliminary versions)
|Named Person:||Theodora Mead Abel; James P Adams; Gordon W Allport; Armando W Angulo y Gonzalez; Samuel Tomlinson Arnold; Frederic C Bartlett, Sir; Stanhope Bayne-Jones; Lester F Beck; J G Beebe-Center; Edwin Garrigues Boring; Charles William Bray; Vannevar Bush; James McKeen Cattell; James Bryant Conant; Wallace Craig; Ruth M Cruikshank; Karl M Dallenbach; Curt John Ducasse; Samuel Weiller Fernberger; Louise W Gates; Roger Gilbert; Alvin I Goldfarb; Edwin Ray Guthrie; Caryl Parker Haskins; Davenport Hooker; Clark Leonard Hull; Walter Samuel Hunter; John L Kennedy; Kurt Koffka; Zing Yang Kuo; Herbert Sidney Langfeld; Karl Spencer Lashley; Ross Armstrong McFarland; Laurence K Marshall; Robert Morey; Norman Leslie Munn; Carl Murchison; Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis; Carl Pfaffmann; Martha C Pollock; Carroll C Pratt; S Oliver Roberts; Harold Schlosberg; B F Skinner; Howard C Warren; George Richard Wendt; Edwin Bidwell Wilson; Robert Sessions Woodworth; Robert Mearns Yerkes|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||ca. 180,000 items (183 linear ft.).|
Significant and more voluminous material consists of series relating to professional organizations of which he was a member or officer. These include American Academy of Arts and Sciences, Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association of Museums, American Council of Education, American Psychological Association, Brookings Institution, College Entrance Examination Board, Committee of New England (of the National Planning Association), Educational Testing Service, National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, National Science Foundation, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Carmichael's association with educational institutions spans the period from his entrance to Tufts University in 1917 until his death. There is significant material for the Tufts period, post 1938, when he became President of the University and Director of the Laboratory of Sensory Physiology and Psychology. This includes reports, committee meetings, and correspondence. There are similiar types of material for his Harvard period (PhD 1924); at Princeton (1924-1926), where he was an instructor in psychology; and at Brown University (1926-1936); but less material for the University of Rochester (1936-1938). He made important contributions to the field of child development, and there is material on the Society for Research in Child Development.
Outside the academic world he functioned in various capacities, all producing significant series within his papers. During World War II, he headed the National Roster of Scientific and Specialized Personnel, which recruited scientists and engineers for the war, and later he was Chairman of the Army Scientific Advisory Panel (on Manpower). Carmichael served as chairman of the Division of Anthropology and Psychology of the National Research Council, and he was also a member and chairman of the advisory board of the Yerkes Laboratories of Primate Biology. One of his more important positions was Secretary for the Smithsonian Institution (1952-1964). Leaving that position, he became the vice president for research and exploration for the National Geographic Society.
There is a sizable group of material for the Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory at Bar Harbor, Maine. He was also an editorial adviser for psychology at Houghton Mifflin Co. Of note are over 150 folders concerning animals, from antelope to zebra, which present his research into their development and behavior. Of significance is the material on the use of motion pictures in psychology. Lastly, there are eleven bound volumes of papers written by Carmichael's psychology students at Brown University and the University of Rochester from 1932-1938. These are grouped under subject headings Audition, Emotion, Endocrinology, Learning, The Lower Senses, Perception, Response, Thought and Language, and Vision.
- Abel, Theodora Mead, -- 1899-1998.
- Adams, James P.
- Allport, Gordon W. -- (Gordon Willard), -- 1897-1967.
- Angulo y Gonzalez, Armando W.
- Arnold, Samuel Tomlinson, -- 1892-1956.
- Bartlett, Frederic C. -- (Frederic Charles), -- Sir, -- 1887-1969.
- Bayne-Jones, Stanhope, -- 1888-1970.
- Beck, Lester F. -- (Lester Fred), -- 1909-.
- Beebe-Center, J. G. -- (John Gilbert), -- 1897- .
- Boring, Edwin Garrigues, -- 1886-1968.
- Bray, Charles William, -- 1904- .
- Bush, Vannevar, -- 1890-1974.
- Cattell, James McKeen, -- 1860-1944.
- Conant, James Bryant, -- 1893-1978.
- Craig, Wallace, -- b. 1876.
- Cruikshank, Ruth M. -- (Ruth Majorie), -- 1911- .
- Dallenbach, Karl M., -- 1887-1971.
- Ducasse, Curt John, -- 1881-1969.
- Fernberger, Samuel Weiller, -- 1887-1956.
- Gates, Louise W.
- Gilbert, Roger.
- Goldfarb, Alvin I.
- Guthrie, Edwin Ray, -- b. 1886.
- Haskins, Caryl Parker, -- 1908- .
- Hooker, Davenport, -- 1887-.
- Hull, Clark Leonard, -- 1884-1952.
- Hunter, Walter Samuel, -- 1889-1954.
- Kennedy, John L.
- Koffka, Kurt, -- 1886-1941.
- Kuo, Zing Yang.
- Langfeld, Herbert Sidney, -- 1879-1958.
- Lashley, Karl Spencer, -- 1890-1958.
- McFarland, Ross Armstrong, -- 1901-1976.
- Marshall, Laurence K.
- Morey, Robert.
- Munn, Norman Leslie, -- 1902-.
- Murchison, Carl, -- 1887-1961.
- Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, -- 1929-1994.
- Pfaffmann, Carl, -- 1913-1994.
- Pollock, Martha C.
- Pratt, Carroll C. -- (Carroll Cornelius), -- 1894- .
- Roberts, S. Oliver, -- 1910- .
- Schlosberg, Harold, -- 1904-1964.
- Skinner, B. F. -- (Burrhus Frederic), -- 1904-1990.
- Warren, Howard C. -- (Howard Crosby), -- 1867-1934.
- Wendt, George Richard, -- 1906-1977.
- Wilson, Edwin Bidwell, -- 1879-1964.
- Woodworth, Robert Sessions, -- 1869-1962.
- Yerkes, Robert Mearns, -- 1876-1956.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- American Association of Museums.
- American Council on Education.
- American Psychological Association.
- Brookings Institution.
- Brown University.
- College Entrance Examination Board.
- Educational Testing Service.
- George Washington University.
- Houghton Mifflin Company.
- National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- National Geographic Society (U.S.).
- National Planning Association. -- Committee of New England.
- National Research Council. -- Division of Anthropology and Psychology.
- National Roster of Scientific and Specialized Personnel.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation in the United States.
- Princeton University.
- Roscoe B. Jackson Memorial Laboratory.
- Smithsonian Institution.
- Society for Research in Child Development.
- Tufts University.
- United States. -- Army Scientific Advisory Panel.
- University of Rochester.
- Yerkes Laboratories of Primate Biology, Inc.
- Animal behavior.
- Animal psychology.
- Child development.
- Child psychology.
- Learning, Psychology of.
- Psychology -- Research -- United States.
- Senses and sensation.
- Thought and thinking.
- Vision -- Psychological aspects.