Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Charles, King of England; Thomas Chatterton; Geoffrey Chaucer; William Cole; Nicholas Hardinge; Henry, King of England; Richard Hurd; George Jubb, Correspondence.; Gerard Langbaine; Jeremiah Milles; Alexander Pope; Samuel Richardson; T Smollett; Thomas Tyrwhitt; William Warburton; Thomas 1728-1790 Warton|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Language Note:||In English.|
|Notes:||Pasted into flyleaf: typewritten index to manuscript.
Binding: modern. In gilt on spine: Tyrwhitt Papers II. Dep. c. 105.
|Description:||1 v. (114 p.) : 2 ill. ; 39 cm.|
The second section contains 23 letters, notes, drawings, and transcripts relating to Thomas Chatterton and the Rowley controversy. These items include numerous documents in Chatterton's hand, including Happiness-a poem; A fragment of sermon on the holy spirit in medieval English; and 10 drawings, some printed, of medieval buildings and tombstones, including that of Robertes Canyng. The section also includes several items by George Catcott, such as a notebook with marbled covers signed George Catcott January 1, 1776, which consists of his notes to a book on Chatterton; and a copy of Chatterton's poem The tournament, an interlude, with a note by Tyrwhitt to the printer. The remainder of this section consists of letters from various scholars to Tyrwhitt discussing the Rowley controversy. These scholars include Thomas Warton, Jeremiah Milles, William Cole, and Dr. Percy.
The third section contains 10 letters, several of which are addressed to Tyrwhitt, many on literary matters, including the meaning of the word "churl"; accented syllables in Milton's and others' poetry; and commentaries on John Dryden, Alexander Pope, and Joseph Addison. Other items include a social letter from Richard Hurd, bishop of Worcester, to Dr. Hough; a letter from Nicholas Harding discussing the King's right to levy taxes, and containing extracts from Hale's Prerogativa Regis; and two drawings of plans for tracts of land surveyed in Jamaica, signed by Henry Wornull in 1671.
- Charles -- I, -- King of England, -- 1600-1649.
- Chatterton, Thomas, -- 1752-1770.
- Chaucer, Geoffrey, -- d. 1400.
- Cole, William, -- 1714-1782.
- Hardinge, Nicholas, -- 1699-1758.
- Henry -- VII, -- King of England, -- 1457-1509.
- Hurd, Richard, -- 1720-1808 -- Correspondence.
- Jubb, George, -- 1718-1787 -- Correspondence.
- Langbaine, Gerard, -- 1609-1658.
- Milles, Jeremiah, -- 1714-1784 -- Correspondence.
- Pope, Alexander, -- 1688-1744.
- Richardson, Samuel, -- 1689-1761.
- Smollett, T. -- (Tobias), -- 1721-1771.
- Tyrwhitt, Thomas, -- 1730-1786.
- Warburton, William, -- 1698-1779 -- Correspondence.
- Warton, Thomas, 1728-1790 -- Correspondence.
- English poetry -- 18th century.
- Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.