Records and correspondence
|提及的人：||Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier Lafayette, marquis de; George Talcott|
Benjamin Huger; J P Benjamin; John C Calhoun; Henry Clay; Charles Magill Conrad; Jefferson Davis; Josiah Gorgas; Robert Kirkwood; Fitzhugh Lee; Robert E Lee; Hugh Swinton Legaré; John Letcher
|注意：||Manuscript Division reel #M-2277-2279.|
|描述：||1 reel : positive ; 35 mm.|
The collection also contains correspondence from family in Charleston, S.C., from family and friends abroad, from friends serving in the Seminole Indian wars in Florida and from an 1850 tour of European ordnance manufacturers. An interesting group attempts to prove Huger's innocence in the Talcott affair involving an unauthorized purchase of shot.
The Civil War papers contain correspondence from his sons in Texas and a letter book recording prisoner exchanges and truces for burial and search details. Post war papers of Huger and his sons try to vindicate his conduct in the battle of Seven Pines. The collection also contains an extract from the journal of Robert Kirkwood describing the battle of Camden, S.C. in 1780.
Correspondents include Judah P. Benjamin, Charles M. Conrad, Jefferson Davis, Josiah Gorgas, Hugh Swinton Legaré, Fitzhugh Lee, Robert E. Lee, Joel R. Poinsett, George Wythe Randolph, Daniel E. Sickles, Gustavus W. Smith, Leroy Pope Walker and John E. Wool. There are also documents signed by John C. Calhoun, Henry Clay and John Letcher.
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, -- marquis de, -- 1757-1834.
- Talcott, George, -- 1786-1862.
- Aztec Club of 1847.
- United States. -- Army -- Ordinance and ordinance stores.
- United States. -- Army -- Records and correspondence.
- United States Military Academy.
- Camden, Battle of, Camden, S.C., 1780.
- Fair Oaks, Battle of, Va., 1862.
- Indians of North America -- Wars -- 1815-1875.
- Manuscript maps.
- Seminole War, 2nd, 1835-1842.
- Seminole War, 3rd, 1855-1858.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Description and travel.
- Florida -- History -- 1821-1865.
- Mexico -- Maps.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons.
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Campaigns.