Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John Baldwin Buckstone; Charles Dickens; George Cressall Ellis; Charles Fechter; William James Hammond; George Jones; John Knowles; George Henry Lewis, Sir; Charles James Mathews; J R Planché; Thomas James Serle; Charles Edward Tisdall; Benjamin Webster|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles James Mathews; John Baldwin Buckstone; John William Cole; Charles Dickens; George Cressall Ellis; Charles Fechter; William James Hammond; George Jones; Charles John Kean; John Knowles; George Henry Lewis, Sir; J R Planché; Thomas James Serle; Charles Edward Tisdall; Benjamin Webster
|Language Note:||Several letters are in French.|
|Description:||66 items : ill.|
Recipients include Andrews, J.A. Reynolds, Harley, W.J. Hammond, Mr. Brundley, Webster [possibly Ben Webster?], Danes, Mrs. Fitzwilliams, Buckstone [possibly J.B. Buckstone?], Charles Kean, Johnston, R.K. Lane, Knowles, Lewis, Cogniard, Mrs. B[eedle?], Fechter [possibly Charles Fechter?], Charles Dickens, Planché, Allcroft and other unidentified recipients (1-40). Correspondents include Thomas John Serle, George Jones, George Ellis, John Knowles, Mrs. Winston and C.E. Tisdall (41-48). The letters mostly concern theatre-related business. Many of the letters indicate "copy" or "duplicate." The letters are written in various hands; it is not always clear which are in Mathew's autograph. The letters are addressed to and from various locations in England and Ireland. The letter from Tisdall is written at the top of a print of the "Intended New Parochial Church of St. Andrew, Dublin," with another print of a different viewpoint of the same church pasted at the bottom of the first print (48).
Other items include two envelopes addressed to G.C.H. Lewis [George Henry Lewis?] at 10 Ely Place, Holborn, postmarked 18[6?]5 and 1875 (57-58); a clipping about Charles James Mathews appearing in San Francisco, dated March 19, 1871 (59); a very short piece, "The gentleman with a cough" (60); an IOU for £25. Dated May 12, 1855 and signed by C.J. Mathews and E. Glover, Esq. (61); a promissory note to pay Charles Mathews £38-18, dated April 17, 1847 and signed by John Williams Cole (62); two leaves of notes entitled "Extracts from Fitzball," after night rehearsal, dates from Oct. 6-11 [no year] (63); a farewell address to the provinces (64); brief fragmentary notes (65-66).
- Buckstone, John Baldwin, -- 1802-1879 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Dickens, Charles, -- 1812-1870 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Ellis, George Cressall, -- 1809-1875 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Fechter, Charles, -- 1824-1879 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Hammond, William James, -- 1797-1848 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Jones, George, -- 1810-1879 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Knowles, John, -- 1810 or 1811-1880 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Lewis, George Henry, -- Sir, -- 1833-1911 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Mathews, Charles James, -- 1803-1878 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Planché, J. R. -- (James Robinson), -- 1796-1880 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Serle, Thomas James, -- 1798-1889 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Tisdall, Charles Edward, -- active 19th century -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.
- Webster, Benjamin, -- 1797-1882 -- Correspondence -- Manuscripts.