Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Topical files and research files for "Jefferson and his time" form the bulk of the collection. The topical files contain material on historical and learned societies and other organizations with which he was associated particularly The American Council of Learned Societies, The Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, The History Book Club, The Literary Society of Washington, D.C., The Monticello Association, The National Endowment for the Humanities, The Southern Historical Association, The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, and The Virginia Cultural Laureate Society; material on publishers particularly Harvard University Press and Little, Brown and Company; professional correspondence with historians, educators, and students; grant applications; recommendations; material on "Empire for liberty" a textbook co-authored with Basil Rauch; awards and honorary degrees; lectures; the University of Virginia and its Department of History; books on Thomas Jefferson; and Jefferson controversies particularly re Sally Hemings.
Research files contain information on people and events in Jefferson's life. There are also drafts and tape recordings of chapters in Volume 6 of "Jefferson and his time"; illustrations, correspondence and reviews for all volumes; tape recordings on Jefferson and education; research tape recordings and notecards on Jefferson.
Correspondents include: Harry Ammon, Louis Auchincloss, Charles F. Baldwin, George Athan Billias, Daniel J. Boorstin, Julian Parks Boyd, Fawn Brodie, George Bush, Nicholas Murray Butler, Jimmy Carter, John Chancellor, Warren Chappell, Walker Cowen, Colgate Whitehead Darden, Hardy C. Dillard, John H. Finley, Felix Frankfurter, Mills E. Godwin, Linwood Holton, J. Franklin Jameson, Allen Johnson, John F. Kennedy, Max Lerner, George McGovern, J. Harry Michael, Francis Pickens Miller, Samuel Eliot Morison, Allan Nevins, John Lloyd Newcomb, Lewis F. Powell, Hyman Rickover, Charles Robb, A. Willis Robertson, Arthur Schlesinger, Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Charles Scribner, Nathaniel W. Stephenson, Arthur Sulzberger, Harry Truman, Barbara Tuchman, Carl Van Doren, Robert Penn Warren, George F. Will, and C. Vann Woodward.
- American Council of Learned Societies.
- Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies.
- Brodie, Fawn McKay, -- 1915-1981. -- Jefferson, an intimate biography.
- Dictionary of American Biography.
- Harvard University. -- Press.
- Hemings, Sally.
- History Book Club.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826.
- Jefferson family.
- Literary Society of Washington (Washington, D.C.)
- Little, Brown and Company.
- Malone, Dumas, -- 1892-1986 -- Empire for liberty.
- Malone, Dumas, -- 1892-1986. -- Jefferson and his time.
- Monticello Association (Charlottesville, Va.)
- National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Rauch, Basil, -- 1908-1986. -- Empire for liberty.
- Southern Historical Association.
- Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation.
- University of Virginia. -- Corcoran Department of History.
- University of Virginia. -- Faculty.
- Virginia Cultural Laureate Society.
- Lectures and lecturing.
- Publishers and publishing.
- Research grants.
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Social conditions.
- United States -- History -- Societies, etc.