The collection contains manuscripts and proofs for his books "On editing Shakespeare and the Elizabethan dramatists," "Textual and literary criticism," and "Hamlet as minister and scourge"; copy texts, manuscripts, proofs and research for his work on Thomas Dekker, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Beaumont and Fletcher, Stephen Crane, Christopher Marlowe, Henry Fielding, Vladimir Nabokov, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and William Shakespeare.
Items of special interest include: Bowers' 1928 Harvard theses; a manuscript of W. W. Gregg's "The rationale of copy-text"; Warren Chappell illustrated letters; poetry by John Ciardi and Elder Olson; Shakespeare teaching files including lecture notes of James Southall Wilson; proofs of Old Powder Man by Joan Williams; Bowers's unpublished lecture "The ideal record collector"; his speech in honor of Clifton Waller Barrett's 70th birthday; and an unpublished checklist of his classical music reviews for the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
Correspondents include Clifton Waller Barrett, J. Leeds Barrol, Peter W. Blayney, Jo Ann Boydston, Louis D. Brodsky, Matthew J. Bruccoli, Warren Chappell, John Ciardi, Leonard Clark, Don L. Cook, Roy Flannagan, J. Gaines Barry, David C. Greetham, W. W. Gregg, Philip M. Grier, Nancy Hale, Robert W. Hamblin, Trevor H. Howard-Hill, V. A. Kolve, Robert G. Kvarnes, Harry Tuchman Levin, Donald H. Reiman, Susan J. Rosowski, A. Leslie Rowse, Peter Shillingsburg, G. Thomas Tanselle, Robert Turner, David L. Vander Meulen and George W. Williams.
- Beaumont, Francis, -- 1584-1616 -- Criticism, Texual.
- Crane, Stephen, -- 1871-1900 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Dekker, Thomas, -- ca. 1572-1632 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Fielding, Henry, -- 1707-1754 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Fitzgerald, F. Scott -- (Francis Scott), -- 1896-1940 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Fletcher, John, -- 1579-1625 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Hawthorne, Nathaniel, -- 1804-1864 -- Criticism, Textual.
- James, William, -- 1842-1910 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Marlowe, Christopher, -- 1564-1593 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Nabokov, Vladimir Vladimirovich, -- 1899-1977 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Criticism, Textual.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Study and teaching.
- University of Virginia. -- Faculty.
- Bibliography -- Methodology.
- Criticism, Textual.
- English literature -- Criticism, Textual.
- English literature -- Study and teaching.