Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Personal narratives, Confederate|
|Named Person:||Armstead family.; Heath family.; Loyale family.; Selden family.; Varina Davis; Henry Heth; Agnes Lee; Abraham Lincoln; Elizabeth G Nugent Wharton|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henry Heth; Ambrose Everett Burnside; G L Christian; Richard E Cunningham; Jefferson Davis; Varina Davis; Douglas Southall Freeman; R M T Hunter; Agnes Lee; Mary Randolph Custis Lee; Mildred Lee; Robert E Lee; John Marshall; George B McClellan; John Pope; Philip Henry Sheridan; William T Sherman; Chas P Stone; Abraham Lincoln
|Description:||220 (ca.) items.|
|Other Titles:||Henry Heth papers
Heth-Selden family papers
There are also genealogical notes, ca. 1762, of the Armistead family; and letter, 1 March 1783, from John Marshall, Richmond, Va., regarding tobacco, and a naval appointment.
Papers, 1784-1923, of the Heth family, include accounts, receipts, wills, legal complaints, an auction inventory, and letters regarding family, legal, and financial matters, the coal industry, and Norwood Coal Company; and genealogical notes, ca. 1808-1816, covering the period 1725-1816, for the Loyale and Selden families.
Papers, 1847-1899, of Henry Heth, include a biographical sketch, extracts from and a typescript manuscript of his memoirs, his West Point diploma, officer's commissions, promissory notes, a money order, a mineral rights agreement, accounts, and letters regarding courtship, family, legal and financial matters, the coal industry, the Norwood Coal Company, the railroad industry, the murder trial of Elizabeth Wharton, the insurance industry, and the Great Southern Railway.
Items of interest include a letter, 25 November 1865, from William T. Sherman to Henry Heth regarding a business venture; a letter, 26 November 1865, from John Pope to Henry Heth, regarding the formation of an express shipping company; and a contract, 7 July 1868, between Ambrose E. Burnside and the Tredegar Company of Richmond, Va., regarding the construction of a railroad and shipping coal.
Also letters, 1866-1878, from Burnside to Heth regarding the coal industry and the Norwood Coal Company; and a letter, 9 March 1869, from George B. McClellan to Charles P. Stone, regarding rendering financial assistance to Henry Heth.
Also a letter, 16 January 1879, from Jefferson Davis regarding the death of his son; a pamphlet, 1909, by G. L. Christian, entitled Abraham Lincoln, an address; a letter, 14 January 1931, from Richard E. Cunningham regarding an enclosed photostat of a letter, 22 January 1864, from Robert E. Lee to R.M.T. Hunter on Henry Heth.
Also a letter, n.d., from Mildred Lee to Mrs. Heth, regarding Lexington, Va., and social matters; letters, 1937-1942, from Douglas Southall Freeman, Richmond, Va., on the publication of Henry Heth's memoirs; and a letter, 2 February 1886, from Philip Henry Sheridan, Washington, D.C., introducing Henry Heth.
Letters from Varina Howell Davis, Agnes Lee and Mary Randolph Custis Lee discuss family and social matters. With these is a death notice, 1873, for Agnes Lee.
- Armstead family.
- Heath family.
- Loyale family.
- Selden family.
- Davis, Varina, -- 1826-1906.
- Heth, Henry, -- 1825-1899.
- Lee, Agnes, -- 1841-1873.
- Lincoln, Abraham, -- 1809-1865.
- Wharton, Elizabeth G. Nugent.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army -- Officers.
- United States. -- Army -- History -- 19th century.
- Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway.
- Norwood Coal Company.
- United States Military Academy.
- Administration of estates -- Virginia -- History.
- Coal trade -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Executors and administrators -- Virginia -- History.
- Finance, Personal -- Virginia -- History.
- Insurance companies -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Lexington (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.
- Mineral rights -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Norwood (Nelson County, Va. : Estate)
- Pregnant women -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Railroads -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Tobacco -- Virginia -- History -- 18th century.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Virginia -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.