Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Records and correspondence
|Named Person:||James Joyce; James Joyce; James Joyce; Herbert Sherman Gorman; Harriet Shaw Weaver; T S Eliot; Arthur Symons; Oliver St John Gogarty; Stanislaus Joyce; Eugène Jolas; Seumas O'Sullivan; Padraic Colum; Georg Goyert; John Cowper Powys; Stuart Gilbert; Stanislaus Joyce; G Molyneux Palmer; Frank Budgen; Man Ray; Lucia Joyce; Sylvia Beach; Sylvia Beach; Frank Budgen; Padraic Colum; T S Eliot; Stuart Gilbert; Oliver St John Gogarty; Herbert Sherman Gorman; Georg Goyert; Eugène Jolas; James Joyce; Lucia Joyce; Stanislaus Joyce; Man Ray; Seumas O'Sullivan; G Molyneux Palmer; John Cowper Powys; Arthur Symons; Harriet Shaw Weaver|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
James Joyce; H K Croessmann
|Description:||5.80 cu. ft.|
The Georg Goyert Papers, covering the years 1927-1939, consist almost entirely of letters from Joyce to Goyert about personal matters and Goyert's translations of Dubliners and Ulysses into German. Some of the letters are written in German. The collection also includes Joyce's gloss for the "Oxen of the Sun" chapter of Ulysses, with the author's comments on difficult parts to help Goyert with his translation of the episode, and a copy of the "International Protest" against the pirating of Ulysses. The final section of the Croessmann Collection of James Joyce is the most diverse, containing correspondence, manuscripts, galley proofs, musical holographs, photographs, pictorial representations, sculpture, and ephemera. The correspondence (1904-1940) consists of thirty-eight letters from Joyce to George Roberts, Elkin Mathews, Jonathan Cape, Michael Lennon, and Lucia Joyce, among others, concerning personal matters, and publishing and royalties for Chamber Music, with references to A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and Finnegans Wake as well. Some of the letters are written in Italian, a few in French, but the majority of them are in English. Manuscripts in this section of the Croessmann Collection include pages from a late draft of the "Circe" episode, and drafts of essays by Michael J. Lennon, John Cowper Powys (on Finnegans Wake), and Lucie Noel (wife of Paul Leon). There are also galleys and manuscripts of Stuart Gilbert's Letters of James Joyce (first volume published in 1957), and Stanislaus Joyce's My Brother's Keeper (published in 1958). In addition, the collection includes final drafts, in the composer's hand, of the music for thirty-two songs from Chamber Music, dated 1909, by Geoffrey Molyneux Palmer. The collection also contains approximately forty photographs, ranging from pictures of Joyce as a baby to photos of the graves of Joyce and his wife Nora. There are family photographs as well as pictures of Joyce with Sylvia Beach, James Stephens, John Sullivan, and others, in addition to photos of buildings and monuments, including the Martello tower at Sandycove and Barney Kiernan's public house. Printed matter includes a pamphlet containing Joyce's essay "The Day of the Rabblement" and a first edition broadside of "The Holy Office." In addition, the Croessmann Collection contains oil paintings by Frank Budgen, photographs by Man Ray, a bust of Joyce, various other drawings and paintings, and ephemera, including theater playbills, legal briefs, radio scripts, journal tearsheets, and newscuttings. Finally, the Croessmann correspondence documents the compilation of materials for the collection and includes the following correspondents, among others: Sylvia Beach, Padraic Colum, Stuart Gilbert, Elkin Mathews, Samuel Roth, Harriet Weaver, and H.L. Mencken. Steven Lund's James Joyce: Letters, Manuscripts, and Photographs at Southern Illinois University (Whitson Publishing, 1983) provides extensive documentation of the Croessmann, Feinberg, Bertelli, Francini-Bruni, and Richard Wallace collections of James Joyce.
- Joyce, James, -- 1882-1941.
- Joyce, James, -- 1882-1941 -- Manuscripts.
- Joyce, James, -- 1882-1941 -- Correspondence.
- Gorman, Herbert Sherman, -- 1893-1954.
- Weaver, Harriet Shaw -- Correspondence.
- Eliot, T. S. -- (Thomas Stearns), -- 1888-1965 -- Correspondence.
- Symons, Arthur, -- 1865-1945 -- Correspondence.
- Gogarty, Oliver St. John, -- 1878-1957 -- Correspondence.
- Joyce, Stanislaus -- Correspondence.
- Jolas, Eugène, -- 1894-1952 -- Correspondence.
- O'Sullivan, Seumas, -- 1879-1958 -- Correspondence.
- Colum, Padraic, -- 1881-1972 -- Correspondence.
- Trials (Obscenity)
- Goyert, Georg, -- 1884-
- Powys, John Cowper, -- 1872-1963 -- Manuscripts.
- Gilbert, Stuart -- Manuscripts.
- Joyce, Stanislaus -- Manuscripts.
- Palmer, G. Molyneux -- (Geoffrey Molyneux), -- 1882-1957 -- Manuscripts.
- Budgen, Frank, -- 1882-1971.
- Man Ray, -- 1890-1976 -- Photographs.
- Joyce, Lucia, -- -1982 -- Correspondence.
- Beach, Sylvia -- Correspondence.
- Novelists, Irish -- 20th century -- Biography.
- Beach, Sylvia.
- Colum, Padraic, -- 1881-1972.
- Eliot, T. S. -- (Thomas Stearns), -- 1888-1965.
- Gilbert, Stuart.
- Gogarty, Oliver St. John, -- 1878-1957.
- Jolas, Eugène, -- 1894-1952.
- Joyce, Lucia, -- -1982.
- Joyce, Stanislaus.
- Man Ray, -- 1890-1976.
- O'Sullivan, Seumas, -- 1879-1958.
- Palmer, G. Molyneux -- (Geoffrey Molyneux), -- 1882-1957.
- Powys, John Cowper, -- 1872-1963.
- Symons, Arthur, -- 1865-1945.
- Weaver, Harriet Shaw.
- Novelists, Irish.