Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Jedediah Hotchkiss; Jedediah Hotchkiss; Thomas Lewis; Thomas Walker|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jedediah Hotchkiss; Edward W Clark; John Esten Cooke; Azel Ford; Stonewall Jackson; Bradley T Johnson; George Washington Custis Lee; Robert E Lee; John C Maben; E C Machen; Samuel Thomas McCullough; Hunter McGuire; M Erskine Miller; Joseph T Richards; William Cabell Rives; Alexander H H Stuart; Confederate Monument Association of Staunton.; Gauley Coal Land Association,; Trans-Flat Top Land Association,
In addition, there is material on Hotchkiss' period of service under Stonewall Jackson as a scout and map-maker during the Civil War, and his teaching career at Mossy Creek Academy in Augusta County and Loch Willow school in Churchville. There are some family letters between Hotchkiss, his wife and daughters; and 20th century papers are about the settling his estate.
Miscellaneous items include news clippings, scrapbooks, photographs and broadsides. Also, diaries, 1863-1865, of Samuel Thomas McCullough of 1st Md. Infantry. [Catalogued separately as Accession 2907].
The collection also includes a typed transcript entitled "Running the line from the head of the Rappahannock to the head of the Potomac" of the 1746 diary of Thomas Lewis concerning the establishment of the Fairfax line. There is a note by Hotchkiss signed an dated Oct. 1889 that states the transcription was "copied and verified from original."
In addition, the collection includes a letter from William Cabell Rives, 1883 April 27, to Hotchkiss discussing Thomas Walker's journal; there is also a document [in Rives' hand?] summarizing Walker's journal from March 16 though July 12, 1750. There is also a typescript of a speech by Col. Stoddard Johnston on Walker's journal read before the Filson Club November 3, 1893.
Correspondents include: Edward W. Clark, John Esten Cooke, Azel Ford, Stonewall Jackson, Bradley Tyler Johnson, George Washington Custis Lee, Robert E. Lee, John C. Maben, E.C. Machen, Hunter Holmes McGuire, M. Erskine Miller, Joseph T. Richards, William Cabell Rives, and Alexander Hugh Holmes Stuart.
- Hotchkiss, Jedediah, -- 1828-1899.
- Hotchkiss, Jedediah, -- 1828-1899 -- Estate.
- Lewis, Thomas, -- 1718-1790 -- Diaries.
- Walker, Thomas, -- 1715-1794 -- Travel.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army. -- Maryland Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865)
- Loch Willow School (Churchville, Va.)
- Mossy Creek Academy (Augusta County, Va.)
- Geological surveys.
- Kentucky -- History -- To 1792.
- Land companies -- Virginia.
- Land companies -- West Virginia.
- Schools -- Virginia -- Augusta County.
- Northern Neck (Va.) -- Surveys.
- Shenandoah River Valley (Va. and W. Va.)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Campaigns.