The collection consists of the literary and personal papers of Mary Hunter Austin (1868-1934). It includes correspondence and literary manuscripts by both Austin and numerous other authors, editors and friends. Literary manuscripts include Austin's personal journals, short stories, poems, essays, and numerous drafts of novels. The correspondence deals with Austin's personal life and business dealings as well as her activities with Indian rights and the water right controversies in California's Owens Valley and in the Southwest. There are also materials related to Austin's interests in folklore and religion in New Mexico and the Southwest.
- Austin, Mary, -- 1868-1934 -- Archives.
- Authors, American -- 20th century -- Correspondence.
- Folklore -- Southwest, New.
- Indians of North America -- California.
- Indians of North America -- New Mexico.
- Water rights -- California -- Owens Valley.
- Women authors, American -- 20th century -- Archives.
- California -- History -- Sources.
- Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico) -- Water rights.
- New Mexico -- History -- Sources.
- Southwest, New -- History -- Sources.