Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Handbooks, manuals, etc
Personal narratives, Confederate
|Named Person:||Uriah Phillips Levy|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Samuel Barron; Samuel Francis Du Pont; David Glasgow Farragut; Joseph E Johnston; Catesby Ap Roger Jones; Stephen R Mallory; George E Pickett; John Slidell; Francis Henney Smith; John Tyler; Gideon Welles; William Conway Whittle; Henry A Wise
A large group of Civil War correspondence deals with the safety of U.S. vessels at Pensacola in 1861, the establishment of the Confederate Navy, the defense of the Outer Banks of North Carolina, his capture at Hatteras and eleven months imprisonment in Boston.
After his exchange Barron corresponds about the reorganization of the Confederate Navy, the defense of the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Cumberland rivers with iron-clad gunboats, and his mission abroad to order iron-clads and outfit other vessels for the Confederacy.
Postwar letters deal almost entirely with family news. The collection also includes some genealogy, photographs, clippings, a sectional sketch of a gunboat and some school-girl essays.
Among the correspondents are Samuel Francis DuPont, David Glasgow Farragut, Joseph Eggleston Johnston, Catesby Ap Roger Jones, Stephen Russell Mallory, George Edward Pickett, John Slidell, Francis Henry Smith, John Tyler, Gideon Welles, William Conway Whittle, and Henry Alexander Wise.
- Levy, Uriah Phillips, -- 1792-1862.
- Confederate States of America. -- Navy.
- United States. -- Navy -- Foreign service.
- United States. -- Navy -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- United States. -- Navy -- Officers.
- Wabash (Frigate)
- Armored vessels.
- Yellow fever -- Virginia -- Norfolk, 1855.
- Essex County (Va.)
- Norfolk (Va.)
- Outer Banks (N.C.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Pensacola (Fla.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Blockades.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Defense.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons.
- Vicksburg (Miss.) -- History -- Siege, 1863.