Vyhledat exemplář v knihovně
Vyhledávání knihoven, které vlastní tento dokument...
The papers pertain chiefly to Paul Brandon Barringer and other members of his family, most notably General Rufus Barringer and Victor C. Barringer, with some scattered items of Daniel Laurens Barringer, Daniel Moreau Barringer and Anna Barringer. The bulk of the material is personal.
Topics include Paul Barringer's unsuccessful attempt to be appointed Secretary of Agriculture, his racial views, his ophthalmology practice, his invention of a fire extinguisher, and charges brought against him the the V.P.I. Alumni Association Welfare Committee; Rufus Barringer's Civil War imprisonment at Ft. Delaware; slave sales, and boarding school life in the the 1870s; Georgia O'Keeffe; the family home "Gravel Hill," Charlotte County, Va.
Of interest are copies of letters from Stonewall Jackson, letters concerning Theodore Roosevelt's 1903 visit to the University of Virginia, and theatre broadsides featuring Edwin Booth in leading roles.
Genealogical data is included for the Brandon, Graham, Hannah, Massey, Morrison, Spragins, Washington and Woodson families.
Correspondents include Edwin A. Alderman, Harry F. Byrd, John Armstrong Cahloner, Lenoir Chambers, William A. Clark, Hugh S. Cumming, Charles W. Dabney, John Dalzell, Josephus Daniels, Noah K. Davis, R.T.W. Duke, E.C. Glass, Carter Glass, Armistead C. Gordon, Hugh S. Johnson, Fitzhugh lee, Andrew J. Montague, R. Walton Moore, and John L. Newcomb.
Also Robert C. Ogden, Lee S. Overman, Thomas Nelson Page, Thomas W. Page, William L. Phelps, John F. Rixey, Albert Shaw, C. Alphonso Smith, Claude A. Swanson, Benjamin R. Tillman, J. Hoge Tyler, Oscar W. Underwood, Henry A. Wallace and John Sharp Williams.
Corresponding with Paul B. Barringer over racial matters are Lyman Abbott, Frank P. Brent, John W. Daniel, H.B. Frissell, Armistead C. Gordon, Thomas W. Harrison, Hilary A. Herbert, Edgar G. Murphy, Clarence Poe, Charles D. Warner and Booker T. Washington.
Související předmětová hesla:(32)
- Brandon family.
- Barringer family.
- Graham family.
- Hanna family.
- Massey family.
- Morrison family.
- Spragins family.
- Washington family.
- Woodson family.
- Barringer, Paul B. -- (Paul Brandon), -- 1857-1941.
- Barringer, Rufus, -- 1821-1895.
- Barringer, Victor C., -- 1828-1896.
- Booth, Edwin, -- 1833-1893.
- Jackson, Stonewall, -- 1824-1863.
- Jackson, Anna Morrison.
- O'Keeffe, Georgia, -- 1887-1986.
- United States. -- Department of Agriculture -- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment.
- Gravel Hill (Estate : Charlotte County, Va.) -- Photographs.
- University of Virginia -- Faculty.
- University of Virginia -- History.
- University of Virginia. -- Hospital -- History.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute -- History.
- African Americans.
- Boarding schools -- North Carolina.
- Boarding schools -- Virginia.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Ophthalmologists -- Virginia.
- Race relations.
- Slave trade -- United States.
- Fort Delaware (Del.)
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Prisoners and prisons.