Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Cunningham family.; Green family.; Walker family.; Jackson family.; Smith family.|
|Document Type:||Book, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Cunningham family.; Green family.; Walker family.; Jackson family.; Smith family.
|Notes:||Bound volumes interfiled chronologically in cartons.|
|Description:||ca. 793 items + 5 v. (2 cartons)|
The Cunninghams belonged to Pleasant Grove Baptist Church; church items include deed (1833) of Hugh Bailey conveying land for new meeting house; lists of subscribers and amounts paid to Board of Missions for Tyger River Association; receipts and expenditures of Domestic Missionary Society; list of subscribers and amounts paid (1856) for support of pastor G.W. Brooks, and roll of members (1888).
Case records of Magistrate William Cunningham, Greenville District, include 5 May 1846, re Willis, a slave belonging to Joseph James, convicted of stealing corn; mortgage (18 Jan. 1845) for Maria, a slave acquired by Josiah Kilgore to pay debt of James Madison; and codicil (7 Nov. 1820) to will of Charleston merchant and Greenville Co. land owner John McDowell emancipating "Phillis" and awarding $350 to "my faithful servant boy ..." or to be applied towards his emancipation.
Includes stock certificate (2 May 1864) for Columbia & Greenville Railroad Co. In 1886 Mary Margaret Cunningham (1865-1940) married Greenville merchant Tandy Austin Walker (1858-1923); the Walker's daughter, Grace (b. 1896), married William F. Jackson in 1922; Bill Jackson served in the Navy during World War I and on the board of trustees of Greenville City Schools, 1945-1950.
The Jackson's daughter, Grace (b.1930), married Roy McBee Smith in 1951; her letters discuss life at Fort Bragg, N.C., and Columbia, S.C., as R.M. Smith studied law at USC; papers include genealogical data on Cunningham, Green, Walker, Jackson, Smith, and Prince, Vernon, Earle, and Montgomery families of Greenville and Spartanburg counties.
- Cunningham family.
- Green family.
- Walker family.
- Jackson family.
- Smith family.
- Pleasant Grove Baptist Church (Greenville County, S.C.)
- University of South Carolina -- Students.
- Baptists -- South Carolina -- Greenville County.
- African Americans -- South Carolina -- Greenville County.
- Frontier and pioneer life -- South Carolina -- History.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, American.
- Law students -- South Carolina -- Columbia.
- Education -- South Carolina -- Greenville -- 20th century.
- Greenville County (S.C.) -- Social life and customs.
- Spartanburg County (S.C.) -- Genealogy.
- North Carolina -- Description and travel.
- Fort Bragg (N.C.) -- Social life and customs.