Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Herbert Baxter Adams; George Bancroft; Philip Alexander Bruce; Wyatt Cardwell; John W Daniel; Curtis Haynes; John Henry; Patrick Henry; William Wirt Henry; Robert E Lee; Elizabeth Watkins Henry Lyons; James Lyons; James Pulliam Marshall; John Randolph; Justin Winsor|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||In the collections of the Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, Va. (Mss1/H3968/a).|
|Description:||1, 085 items.|
Also includes correspondence, 1826-1864, legal records, and estate materials of John Henry of "Red Hill," Charlotte County, Va.; and letters, accounts, legal records, deeds, and miscellany of James Pulliam Marshall (1791-1883) of Charlotte County, Va.
Also, contains correspondence, 1850-1900, accounts, literary manuscripts, speeches, essays, and miscellaneous materials of William Wirt Henry as a lawyer and historian, in part concerning the Presbyterian Church, the Virginia Historical Society, the revolutionary era of American history, and Henry's book, Patrick Henry: Life, Correspondence, and Speeches (New York, 1891).
Correspondents with William Wirt Henry include Herbert Baxter Adams, George Bancroft, Philip Alexander Bruce, John Warwick Daniel, Robert E. Lee, and Justin Winsor. A letterbook, 1892-1894, and account book, 1853-1857, cover Henry's law practice in Charlotte County and Richmond, Va., while another account book, 1857-1881, in part concerns the employment of freedmen and women at "Kenwood," Charlotte County.
Also, includes correspondence of James Lyons (1857-1913) of Buckingham County, Elizabeth Watkins Henry Lyons (1855-1920) of Richmond, and Wyatt Cardwell (b. 1793?) as agent for the estate of John Randolph (1773-1833); and accounts, 1796-1816, of Curtis Haynes as a tailor in Charlotte County, Va.
- Adams, Herbert Baxter, -- 1850-1901.
- Bancroft, George, -- 1800-1891.
- Bruce, Philip Alexander, -- 1856-1933.
- Cardwell, Wyatt, -- b. 1793?
- Daniel, John W. -- (John Warwick), -- 1842-1910.
- Haynes, Curtis.
- Henry, John, -- 1796-1868.
- Henry, Patrick, -- 1736-1799.
- Henry, William Wirt, -- 1831-1900.
- Lee, Robert E. -- (Robert Edward), -- 1807-1870.
- Lyons, Elizabeth Watkins Henry, -- 1855-1920.
- Lyons, James, -- 1857-1913.
- Marshall, James Pulliam, -- 1791-1883.
- Randolph, John, -- 1773-1833 -- Estate.
- Winsor, Justin, -- 1831-1897.
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.
- Virginia. -- General Assembly. -- House of Delegates -- Membership -- 18th century.
- Virginia Historical Society (Richmond, Va.)
- Authors, American -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Freedmen -- Virginia.
- Lawyers -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Plantations -- Virginia -- Charlotte County.
- Practice of law -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century.
- Charlotte County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- Kenwood (Charlotte County, Va. : Estate)
- Red Hill (Charlotte County, Va. : Estate)
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 18th century.