Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Joshua Brackett; Lajos Kossuth; Charles Lowell; James Russell Lowell; James Russell Lowell; John Lowell; Mary Lowell Putnam; William Lowell Putnam; Joseph Whipple; William Whipple; Keith Spence|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joshua Brackett; Annie Fields; Charles Lowell; James Russell Lowell; John Lowell; Robert Lowell; Theresa Pulszky; Mary Lowell Putnam; Keith Spence; Joseph Whipple; William Whipple; Brackett family.; Lowell family.; Traill family.; Spence family.
|Description:||321 pieces. 6 boxes.|
|Other Titles:||Spence-Lowell collection|
The largest portion of the collection is letters from Keith Spence to his wife. The letters written over the period from April, 1797 to September, 1809 describe Spence's business exploits and naval career, including service in the West Indies, cruises onboard of the Ganges, Philadelphia and the Constellation, his imprisonment in Tripoli, and his service as Navy agent in New Orleans. Some letters discuss their son Robert Traill Spence, also a naval officer.
Correspondence of Charles Lowell, chiefly letters addressed to him discussing theology, political and literary news, slavery and abolitionism, family news, etc. The correspondence covers the period between 1818 and 1861.
Correspondence of Mary Spence Lowell Putnam, chiefly letters addressed to her, many from her European friends. Correspondents include Lajos Kossuth, Terézia Walder Pulszky, Charles Sumner, James Russell Lowell, and others.-b Also included are a few letters, evidently collected by her for their autograph value.
Scattered correspondence and papers of the Whipple, Lowell, Traill, and Putnam families, including pieces by John Lowell (1704-1767); Joshua Brackett, (1735-1802), John Lowell, "the Old Judge" (1743-1803), William Whipple, and Joseph Whipple; a few letters dealing with the death of William Lowell Putnam at Ball's Bluff (1861), poems by Robert Traill Spence Lowell and Annie Fields, and miscellaneous family documents and genealogical data.
- Brackett, Joshua, -- 1735-1802 -- Correspondence.
- Kossuth, Lajos, -- 1802-1894.
- Lowell, Charles, -- 1782-1861 -- Archives.
- Lowell, James Russell, -- 1819-1891 -- Correspondence.
- Lowell, James Russell, -- 1819-1891 -- Family -- Archives.
- Lowell, John, -- 1704-1767 -- Correspondence.
- Putnam, Mary Lowell, -- 1810-1898 -- Archives.
- Putnam, William Lowell, -- 1840-1861.
- Whipple, Joseph, -- 1738-1816 -- Correspondence.
- Whipple, William, -- 1730-1785 -- Correspondence.
- Constellation (Frigate)
- Ganges (Ship)
- United States. -- Navy -- History -- Tripolitan War, 1801-1805-vSources.
- United States. -- Navy -- Officers -- Correspondence.
- Abolitionists -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Correspondence.
- Autographs -- Collectors and collecting -- United States.
- Ball's Bluff, Battle of, Va., 1861.
- Women authors, American -- 19th century -- Archives.
- New England -- History -- Sources.
- New England -- Intellectual life -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Massachusetts -- History -- Sources.
- United States -- History -- 1797-1801 -- Personal narratives.
- United States -- History -- 1797-1801 -- Naval operations -- Sources.
- Unitarians -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Correspondence.
- United States -- History -- Tripolitan War, 1801-1805 -- Personal narratives.
- United States -- Intellectual life -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Spence, Keith, -- approximately 1810 -- Archives.
- Philadelphia (Frigate)