Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||William Cullen Bryant; Evert A Duyckinck; E F Ellet; James Henry Hammond; John Pendleton Kennedy; Cornelius Mathews; George Munro; Edgar Allan Poe; John Russell; William Gilmore Simms; William Gilmore Simms|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William Gilmore Simms; Arthur W Austin; Sidney Babcock; Henry Carey Baird; Park Benjamin; James Chesnut; R S Chilton; John Esten Cooke; Henry B Dawson; Eugene Lemoine Didier; C C Felton; John J French; James Thomas Fields; Peter Force; Rufus W Griswold; Joel Tyler Headley; William Alfred Jones; John Pendleton Kennedy; Charles Lanman; Brantz Mayer; James Kirke Paulding; George Palmer Putnam; Justus Starr Redfield; J L Reynolds; Charles Warren Stoddard; Orville J Victor; W G White; Carey & Hart,; D. Appleton and Company,
|Notes:||Forms part of the Clifton Waller Barrett Library.|
Letters to publishers, authors and friends concern his writings and details of their publication, his home "Woodlands" at Midway, S.C., his life, and the works of others, including John Pendleton Kennedy, Peter Force, Charles Warren Stoddard, Elizabeth Ellet, George Munro, John Russell, and John Esten Cooke, and briefly Cornelius Mathews and Evert A. Duyckinck. Several letters introduce authors to publishers. Others are to autograph collectors.
Letters discuss Simms' passion for the South and Southern literature as compared to the North and Northern literature. He offers both encouragement and criticism to writers and editors, and as the editor of several Southern periodicals he writes to obtain reviews and articles.
Simms writes of his ill health, yellow fever in Charleston, S.C., his need for writing projects to support his family, and his efforts to publicize his books and the books of others including John Esten Cooke's "Wearing of the Gray."
An autograph of Simms and three engravings are included.
- Bryant, William Cullen, -- 1794-1878.
- Duyckinck, Evert A. -- (Evert Augustus), -- 1816-1878.
- Ellet, E. F. -- (Elizabeth Fries), -- 1818-1877.
- Hammond, James Henry, -- 1807-1864.
- Kennedy, John Pendleton, -- 1795-1870.
- Lea & Blanchard.
- The Magnolia; or, Southern Apalachian.
- Mathews, Cornelius, -- 1817-1889.
- Munro, George, -- 1825-1896.
- Poe, Edgar Allan, -- 1809-1849.
- Russell, John, -- 1812-1871.
- Simms, William Gilmore, -- 1806-1870. -- Geography of South Carolina: -- being a companion to the history of that state.
- Simms, William Gilmore, -- 1806-1870 -- Portraits.
- The Southern quarterly review.
- Southern society.
- Authors and publishers.
- American literature -- Southern States.
- Booksellers and bookselling -- Southern states.
- Book reviewing.
- Charleston (S.C.)
- Lectures and lecturing.
- Reconstruction (U.S. history, 1865-1877) -- South Carolina.
- Woodlands (S.C.)
- Yellow fever -- South Carolina -- Charleston.