Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Specific topics of interest include the Albemarle militia (1795); investments in western lands and interest in the James River and Kanawha Canal Co.; contracts for supplying pork to the U.S. Navy; papers for his term as collector of the port of Norfolk, Va.; accounts of his flour mill at Warren, Albemarle County, Va.; Agricultural Society of Albemarle; and Central College subscriptions.
Also papers of the Richmond branch of the Bank of the U.S.; correspondence with John Nicholas describes politics in New York in the early 19th century; James Morrison's letters contain material on Kentucky politics; material on the War of 1812 when Nicholas was governor; notes endorsed by Thomas Jefferson, 1817-1819, and a letter 19 Aug. 1796 from Jefferson.
Among the more important correspondents are John Adams, John Ambler, Mary Ambler, Samuel Athawes, Richard Barbour, James Breckinridge, Brown & Rives, Joseph C. Cabell, William H. Cabell, Dabney Carr, Ellen Carr, Hetty Carr, Hollins Carr, Peter Carr, Sidney Carr, Wilson Miles Cary, John Hartwell Cocke, Peter V. Daniel, George Divers, Ellis and Allan, Ferdinando Fairfax, George William Fairfax, Joshua Fry, Robert Gamble, Gibson & Jefferson, Francis Walker Gilner, William B. Giles, William Waller Hening, Benjamin Watkins Leigh, John Marshall, James Maury, Thomas Walker Maury, Robert Morris, John Nicholas of Albemarle County, John Nicholas of New York, Philip Norburne Nicholas, Richard Randolph, Thomas Jefferson Randolph, Thomas Mann Randolph, William Randolph, Henry St. George Tucker, John Wickham, William Wirt.
- Ambler, Edward, -- -1768 -- Estate.
- Jefferson, Thomas, -- 1743-1826.
- Morrison, James.
- Nicholas, John, -- 1761-1819.
- Nicholas, Wilson Cary, -- 1761-1820.
- Virginia. -- Governor.
- Bank of the United States (1791-1811)
- College of William and Mary.
- James River and Kanawha Company (Richmond, Va.)
- Agricultural Society of Albemarle (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Central College (Charlottesville, Va.)
- United States. -- Navy -- Supplies and stores.
- University of Virginia -- History.
- Warren (Albemarle County, Va. : Estate)
- Macon vs. Ambler.
- Agriculture -- Virginia -- Albemarle County.
- Banks and banking -- Virginia -- History.
- Canals -- Virginia.
- Pork industry and trade.
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Albemarle County.
- Tobacco industry -- Virginia.
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- History.
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- Militia.
- James River and Kanawha Canal (Va.)
- Kentucky -- Politics and government -- 1792-1865.
- Norfolk (Va.) -- Port.
- West (U.S.) -- Land.
- Kentucky -- Politics and government.
- New York (State) -- Politics and government.
- United States -- History -- War of 1812.
- Virginia -- Politics and government.
- Flour mills -- Virginia -- Albemarle County.