Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Early works to 1800
|Named Person:||Stephen Riou; Stephen Riou; James Stuart; Nicholas Revett; Charles Labelye|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Language Note:||In English.|
|Notes:||With printed owner's label of Lyde Benson on front pastedown.
Bound in blind tooled parchment. Blue paper label with ms title pasted to upper board: Part of a tour in Greece, & other papers by SR.
|Description:||1 v. ( p.) : ill. ; 31 cm.|
|Other Titles:||Part of a tour in Greece, and other papers by SR.
Itineral remarks from Italy to the Archipelago and Constantinople by sea and thence by land thro Romelia, Bulgaria, Servia, & Hungary to Vienna in the years 1753 & 1754 with designs
The remainder of the volume (dated from 1750 to 1778) consists of tipped in letters, historical reflections, and a few sketches, all in pen and ink. In the first letter, dated 30 December 1750, Riou writes from Rome to his mother about the events of a trip to Italy. The next three letters (dated 1761-1762) are all addressed to his nephew, John Joseph Berons, and include assorted moral instructions, along with opinions on art, philosophy, and literature. The remaining letters and writings are miscellaneous and fragmentary, and include a note from the "Grand Signor, or Sultan of the Turk" granting Riou free passage in Turkey in 1753; an estimate of the manpower required for the defense of Plymouth by land and by sea; and some pen and ink sketches of coin designs, with wash. The remaining document of interest is a "Memorandum for a two years tour through France & to Italy, 1769", in which Riou advises an unnamed traveler on issues of transport, clothing, servants, luggage, and guide books. Clothes, Riou notes, "would be entirely a burden, as at Paris you must make up your gala or dress suits according to the season & the mode then reigning ...". The course of Riou's itinerary advises most of the most common destinations, including Normandy (one week), Paris (one month), Lyon, Geneva, Turin, Rome (for Carnival & Christmas), Naples, back to Rome (for Holy Week), Venice, and Florence.
- Riou, Stephen -- Correspondence.
- Riou, Stephen -- Diaries.
- Stuart, James, -- 1713-1788.
- Revett, Nicholas, -- 1720-1804.
- Labelye, Charles, -- 1705-1781?
- Grand tours (Education)
- Italy -- Antiquities.
- Europe -- Description and travel.
- Greece -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- France -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Turkey -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- İzmir (Turkey) -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Italy -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Rome (Italy) -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Naples (Italy) -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Herculaneum (Extinct city) -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Cyprus -- Description and travel -- 18th century.
- Chron. -- 1750-1778.
- Europe -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.