Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||192 pages : illustrations ; 29 cm|
|Contents:||A luminous history, a luminous future --
1. Basic materials : What is pastel? ; Building a collection of pastels ; Experimenting with pastels ; Storing and organizing pastels ; Examining the lightfastness of colors ; Addressing questions of toxicity ; Selecting paper with care --
2. Advanced studio practices : Making your own pastels ; Making your own supports ; Organizing your studio ; Keeping a notebook --
3. A look at the genres : Portraiture ; Self-portraiture ; Still life ; Landscape ; The figure --
4. The working process : Creating black-and-white tonal studies ; Establishing proportion ; Capturing gesture ; Articulating composition ; Remembering that first impression ; Perceiving color ; Applying pastel ; Laying in the painting ; Gradating tone ; Developing form ; Establishing whether the work is finished ; Identifying problems ; Making corrections --
5. On my easel : Pigeon Glancing ; Underwood ; Anastasio with Pillow ; Dried Flowers, Garlic Skins, Fabric, and Threads ; Bee Balm ; Emily in Profile --
6. Display and handling : Caring for pastel paintings and drawings ; Framing pastel paintings ; Traveling with pastel paintings --
Notable public collections of pastel paintings and drawings.
|Responsibility:||Ellen Eagle ; foreword by Maxine Hong Kingston.|
""Pastel Painting Atelier: Essential Lessons in Techniques, Practices, and Materials "isn t simply about pastel techniques, but how to truly capture a life and its full worthon paper. Read it like a