|提及的人：||P H Winston; Joseph J Williams; William A K Williams; Williams family|
P H Winston; University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Library. Southern Historical Collection.
|注意：||Title from reel guide.
Accompanied by a printed reel guide.
|描述：||1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm.|
|丛书名：||Records of ante-bellum southern plantations from the Revolution through the Civil War., Series J., Part 12,, Tidewater and Coastal Plains North Carolina ;, reel 43.|
The bulk of this collection consists of estate papers for the Williams family of Bertie and Martin counties, and documents the financial management of their estates, and Patrick Winston's legal efforts on their behalf. The remaining papers are chiefly financial and legal items of Patrick Winston. The papers document the management of the estates of H.S., Samuel, Joseph J., and John P. Williams; Winston's legal efforts in a case against John Williams's estate; slave sales in several North Carolina counties; medical care given slaves; the cotton market, especially the Civil War's effect on it; and the postwar legal and financial difficulties of planters. Financial and legal items include slave bills of sale; deeds and surveys for Bertie, and Franklin County lands; loan notes; affidavits; a warrant; and a court petition. Of note is a volume, 1850-1853, containing the constitution, by-laws, and minutes of the Bertie Lyceum. There are also two letters addressed to Winston's sons, George and Robert, in the 1930s, one from Jeff W. Lamar, who claimed to have played baseball for the Philadelphia Athletics before the formation of the major leagues. Patrick Henry Winston was a prominent lawyer of Windsor, N.C. The Williams family of Bertie and Martin counties, N.C., included H.S. (d. 1858?), Samuel (d. 1855?), Joseph J. (d. 1865?), John P. (d. 1860?), and William A.K. (fl. 1861-1873). Winston was counsel for William A.K. Williams and executor of the estate of Joseph J. Williams.
- Winston, P. H. -- (Patrick Henry), -- 1820-1886 -- Archives.
- Williams, Joseph J.
- Williams, William A. K. -- active 1861-1873.
- Williams family -- Sources.
- Bertie County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources.
- Franklin County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources.
- Martin County (N.C.) -- History -- Sources.
- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Lawyers -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Slave bills of sale -- North Carolina -- History -- Sources.
- Estates (Law) -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Bertie Lyceum (Bertie County, N.C.) -- Archives.
- Lyceums -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Norfolk County (Va.) -- Economic conditions -- Sources.
- Cotton trade -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Slavery -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.
- Plantation life -- North Carolina -- History -- 19th century -- Sources.