Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Paulo Freire; Paulo Freire|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Translated from the Portuguese Pedagogia do oprimido.|
|Description:||183 p. ; 23 cm.|
|Contents:||Publisher's foreword --
Introduction to the anniversary edition / Donaldo Macedo --
Foreword / Richard Shaull --
1. The justification for a pedagogy of the oppressed ; the contradiction between the oppressors and the oppressed, and how it is overcome ; oppression and the oppressors ; oppression and the oppressed ; liberation : not a gift, not a self-achievement, but a mutual process --
2. The "banking" concept of education as an instrument of oppression--its presuppositions--a critique ; the problem-posing concept of education as an instrument for liberation--its presuppositions ; the "banking" concept and the teacher-student contradiction ; the problem-posing concept and the supersedence of the teacher-student contradiction ; education : a mutual process, world-mediated ; people as uncompleted beings, conscious of their incompletion, and their attempt to be more fully human --
3. Dialogics--the essence of education as the practice of freedom ; dialogics and dialogue ; dialogue and the search for program content ; the human-world relationship, "generative themes," and the program content of education as the practice of freedom ; the investigation of "generative themes" and its methodology ; the awakening of critical consciousness through the investigation of "generative themes" ; the various stages of the investigation --
4. Antidialogics and dialogics as matrices of opposing theories of cultural action : the former as an instrument of oppression and the latter as an instrument of liberation ; the theory of antidialogical action and its characteristics : conquest, divide and rule, manipulation, and cultural invasion ; the theory of dialogical action and its characteristics : cooperation, unity, organization, and cultural synthesis.
|Other Titles:||Pedagogia do oprimido.|
|Responsibility:||Paulo Freire ; translated by Myra Bergman Ramos ; with an introduction by Donald Macedo.|
"Brilliant methodology of a highly charged and politically provocative character." Jonathan Kozol
- Freire, Paulo, -- 1921-1997.
- Education -- Philosophy.
- Popular education -- Philosophy.
- Critical pedagogy.
- Socioeconomic Factors.
- Kritische pedagogiek.
- Freire, Paulo, -- 1921-
User lists with this item (36)
- Pedagogy of Invitation(24 items)
by roxiebabcock updated about 6 days ago
- Things to Check Out(31 items)
by chmatie925 updated about 2 weeks ago
- books read 2013(6 items)
by ryoder44 updated about 4 days ago
- Professional Development(4 items)
by econprof updated 2013-01-06
- freire p(1 items)
by annamariejohnston99 updated 2012-12-11