Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Paulo Freire; Paulo Freire; Paulo Freire|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||Translated from the Portuguese Pedagogia do oprimido.|
|Description:||183 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Publisher's foreword --
Introduction to the anniversary edition / Donaldo Macedo --
Foreword / Richard Shaull --
1. The justification for a pedagogy of the oppressed ; the contradiction between the oppressors and the oppressed, and how it is overcome ; oppression and the oppressors ; oppression and the oppressed ; liberation : not a gift, not a self-achievement, but a mutual process --
2. The "banking" concept of education as an instrument of oppression--its presuppositions--a critique ; the problem-posing concept of education as an instrument for liberation--its presuppositions ; the "banking" concept and the teacher-student contradiction ; the problem-posing concept and the supersedence of the teacher-student contradiction ; education : a mutual process, world-mediated ; people as uncompleted beings, conscious of their incompletion, and their attempt to be more fully human --
3. Dialogics--the essence of education as the practice of freedom ; dialogics and dialogue ; dialogue and the search for program content ; the human-world relationship, "generative themes," and the program content of education as the practice of freedom ; the investigation of "generative themes" and its methodology ; the awakening of critical consciousness through the investigation of "generative themes" ; the various stages of the investigation --
4. Antidialogics and dialogics as matrices of opposing theories of cultural action : the former as an instrument of oppression and the latter as an instrument of liberation ; the theory of antidialogical action and its characteristics : conquest, divide and rule, manipulation, and cultural invasion ; the theory of dialogical action and its characteristics : cooperation, unity, organization, and cultural synthesis.
|Other Titles:||Pedagogia do oprimido.|
|Responsibility:||Paulo Freire ; translated by Myra Bergman Ramos ; with an introduction by Donald Macedo.|
"Brilliant methodology of a highly charged and politically provocative character." Jonathan Kozol
- Freire, Paulo, -- 1921-1997.
- Education -- Philosophy.
- Popular education -- Philosophy.
- Critical pedagogy.
- Socioeconomic Factors.
- Freire, Paulo, -- 1921-
- Freire, Paulo, -- 1921-1997
- Kritische pedagogiek.
User lists with this item (58)
- Multicultural Diversity References(15 items)
by MsWalkerHU updated about 4 hours ago
- Activism and Education(12 items)
by rdsathene updated about 3 days ago
- A masters thesis(21 items)
by shersher629 updated about 2 weeks ago
- Area II Professional Learning Resources(27 items)
by abed-CBEII updated about 3 weeks ago
- BGU FST103(13 items)
by BGU_Applied_Studies updated 2014-12-19