Biography Juvenile literature
|提及的人：||Solomon Nunes Carvalho; Solomon Nunes Carvalho; John Charles Frémont; John Charles Frémont|
Arlene B Hirschfelder
|描述：||ix, 118 p. : ill., maps ; 27 cm.|
Members of Fremont's fifth expedition --
Solomon Nunes Carvalho --
National mania --
Getting ready --
Camera, a contest, and camp life --
Buffalo hunting --
Prairie fires and a Cheyenne village --
Supplies for the journey --
Rocky Mountain summits --
Horses and a surprise save the day --
To eat or not to eat --
Stubborn as a mule --
Frozen feet and dead animals --
Death of a friend --
Mormons to the rescue --
Carvalho's life after the adventure --
|責任：||Arlene B. Hirschfelder.|
In 1853 explorer Colonel John Charles Fremont invited photographer and fine artist Solomon Nunes Carvalho to accompany his fifth, and final, western expedition. As the official photographer, Carvalho documented the trip from the Mississippi River to Utah with daguerreotypes, a unique and often unwieldy form of photography that produces images on large silver plates. Carvalho was a skilled photographer, but he was a novice on the trail and he battled with the hardships of the journey. He not only was challenged by the physical strain but, as an observant Jew, struggled to maintain his commitment to Judaism, even when observing strict dietary laws meant that he did not eat. Carvalho's own words, from the journal he kept and from letters he wrote home to his wife, provide a vivid firsthand view of his remarkable adventure. With many apt excerpts from his descriptions, author Arlene Hirschfelder has written a detailed account of the life of this little-known, yet widely accomplished, man.
- Carvalho, Solomon Nunes, -- 1815-1897 -- Juvenile literature.
- Carvalho, Solomon Nunes, -- 1815-1897.
- Frémont, John Charles, -- 1813-1890 -- Juvenile literature.
- Frémont, John Charles, -- 1813-1890.
- Photographers -- West (U.S.) -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- Explorers -- West (U.S.) -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- Jews -- West (U.S.) -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.
- Jews -- Biography.
- West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration -- Juvenile literature.
- West (U.S.) -- Discovery and exploration.