Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||William Bell; Grove Karl Gilbert; Timothy H O'Sullivan; George M Wheeler|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph, Picture|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
William Bell; Grove Karl Gilbert; Timothy H O'Sullivan; George M Wheeler; Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)
|Notes:||Title devised by cataloger.
Each photograph mounted on board with a descriptive letter-press captions: War Department, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army. Expeditions West of the 100th Meridian ... Lt. Geo. M. Wheeler, Com'd'g., with title, series and number of image.
Numbers inscribed in some negatives.
|Description:||12 photographic prints : black and white ; 20 x 28 cm on mounts 46 x 60 cm or smaller. 1 drawing : ink and watercolor ; 44.7 x 58.7 cm|
Photographs by O'Sullivan depict several locations along the Colorado River in the Black Canyon and the Grand Canyon. Photographs of Nevada include a view of men and women in the mining town of Logan and a view of eroded strata near Cottonwood Springs. A photograph of Utah consists of a detailed view of a rock marked with striations from wind erosion near Grand Wash, Utah (misidentified by a typescript caption as below Fortification Rock, Arizona).
The photograph by Bell shows the Colorado River and Marble Canyon (identified as Grand Cañon) near the confluence with the Paria River in Arizona.
Accompanied by an architectural detail drawing with graphical representations of a scarab, dagger, celestial symbols, and a horned toad or rodent, as well as manuscript passage attributed to Pliny the Elder.
- Bell, William, -- 1830-1910.
- Gilbert, Grove Karl, -- 1843-1918.
- O'Sullivan, Timothy H., -- 1840-1882.
- Wheeler, George M. -- (George Montague), -- 1842-1905.
- Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.)
- Geographical Surveys West of the 100th Meridian (U.S.) -- Pictorial works.
- United States. -- War Department.
- Architecture -- Details -- Drawings.
- Arizona -- Pictorial works.
- Black Canyon (Ariz. and Nev.) -- Pictorial works.
- Colorado River (Colo.-Mexico) -- Pictorial works.
- Grand Canyon (Ariz.) -- Pictorial works.
- Logan (Nev.) -- Pictorial works.
- Marble Canyon (Coconino County, Ariz. : Canyon) -- Pictorial works.
- Nevada -- Pictorial works.
- Paria River (Utah and Ariz.) -- Pictorial works.
- United States -- Exploring expeditions -- Pictorial works.
- United States -- Surveys -- Pictorial works.
- Utah -- Pictorial works.