Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
Early works to 1800
|Named Person:||Pedro Alvares Cabral; Amerigo Vespucci|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Piero Vaglienti; Bartolomeo Marchioni; Amerigo Vespucci; Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de' Medici; Manuel, King of Portugal; Leo, Pope; Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library); Biblioteca riccardiana.; Newberry Library.
|Notes:||Photostats of originals in the Biblioteca riccardiana in Florence, Italy.
In box with title: "Vespucci. MS Riccardiano 1910."
For background information on the letters and dates of copying, and English translations of letters from Marchioni and Vespucci, see The voyage of Pedro Alvares Cabral to Brazil and India / trans. with notes by William Brooks Greenlee. London : The Hakluyt Society, 1938, p. 145-161. Translations of other letters appear in El Nuevo mundo / Américo Vespucio. Buenos Aires : Editorial Nova, 1951.
Forms part of the Edward E. Ayer Manuscript Collection (Newberry Library).
|Reproduction Notes:||Photographs. Florence, Italy : Biblioteca riccardiana, [between 1917 and 1936]. 22 cm.|
|Description:|| leaves ; 22 cm.|
The letter of June 27, 1501 sent to Florence by Bartolomeo Marchioni, a powerful Florentine banker in Lisbon, relates the return home of 4 caravels from the Cabral expedition and gives details on the spices and other exotic items they carry. Vespucci's letter of June 4, 1501 also describes the route navigated by Cabral, northeast from the Cape of Good Hope and along the coasts of the Red Sea and the Persian Gulf to Calicut, India. His 1502 letter from Lisbon to his patron, Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de'Medici in Florence, contains his account of the third voyage which he made for the king of Portugal. Following a route southwest from the coast of Africa, Vespucci reaches the South American continent, below the Tropic of Capricorn; and provides details on the lands and inhabitants he discovers. Additional letters discuss other voyages, and there is also a letter [1513?] from King Manuel of Portugal to Pope Leo X.
- Cabral, Pedro Alvares, -- -1520? -- Travel.
- Vespucci, Amerigo, -- 1451-1512 -- Travel.
- Voyages and travels -- Early works to 1800.
- Discoveries in geography -- Early works to 1800.
- Atlantic Coast (Africa) -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Early works to 1800.
- Red Sea -- Saudi Arabia -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Early works to 1800.
- Persian Gulf -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Early works to 1800.
- Calicut (India) -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Early works to 1800.
- South America -- Discovery and exploration -- Portuguese -- Early works to 1800.
- Portugal -- History -- Manuel I, 1495-1521.
- Spice trade -- India -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
- Indians of South America -- Social life and customs -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
- Explorers -- Early works to 1800.
- Manuscripts, Italian.