|提及的人：||William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare; William Shakespeare|
John Barton; Royal Shakespeare Company.; London Weekend Television (Firm)
|ISBN:||0413547809 9780413547804 0413547906 9780413547903|
|注意：||Based on the record of 9 workshop programmes made in 1982 by the Royal Shakespeare Company for London Weekend Television and shown on Channel Four in 1984.
The 9 workshops are available as videorecordings on videotapes or videodiscs.
|描述：||211 p. ; 23 cm.|
|内容：||Part one: objective things: 1. The two traditions : Elizabethan and modern acting --
2. Using the verse : heightened and naturalistic verse --
3. Language and character : making the words one's own --
4. Using the prose : why does Shakespeare use prose? --
5. Set speeches and soliloquies : taking the audience with you --
6. Using the sonnets : going over some old ground. --
Part two: subjective things: 7. Irony and ambiguity : text that isn't what it seems --
8. Passion and coolness : a question of balance --
9. Rehearsing the text : Orsino and Viola --
10. Exploring a character : playing Shylock --
11. Contemporary Shakespeare : a discussion --
12. Poetry and hidden poetry : three kinds of failure.
|责任：||John Barton ; with a foreword by Trevor Nunn.|
Together with Royal Shakespeare Company actors including Patrick Stewart, Judi Dench, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, and David Suchet, director John Barton demonstrates how to adapt Elizabethan theater for the modern stage. Barton begins by explicating Shakespeare's verse and prose, speeches and soliloquies, and naturalistic and heightened language to discover the essence of his characters. In the second section, Barton and the actors explore nuance in Shakespearean theater, from evoking irony and ambiguity and striking the delicate balance of passion and profound intellectual thought, to finding new approaches to playing Shakespeare's most controversial creation, Shylock, from The Merchant of Venice.