Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Van Allsburg, Chris
The Polar Express
Boston : Houghton Mifflin Co., 1985.
|Material Type:||Fiction, Juvenile audience, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Chris Van Allsburg; Houghton Mifflin Company.
|Notes:||Art techniques used: Soft layers of watercolor, pastel and colored pencils with a sensitive awareness of light and perspective.|
|Awards:||Caldecott Medal, 1986.|
|Description:|| p. : col. ill. ; 24 x 30 cm.|
|Contents:||Sample text for The Polar Express / written and illustrated by Chris Van Allsburg. "On Christmas Eve, many years ago, I lay quietly in my bed. I did not rustle the sheets. I breathed slowly and silently. I was listening for a sound --
a sound a friend had told me I'd never hear --
the ringing bells of Santa's sleigh. 'There is no Santa, ' my friend had insisted, but I knew he was wrong. Late that night I did hear sounds, though not of ringing bells. From outside came the sounds of hissing steam and squeaking metal. I looked through my window and saw a train standing perfectly still in from of my house."
|Responsibility:||written and illustrated by Chris Van Allsburg.|
- Santa Claus -- Juvenile fiction.
- Christmas -- Juvenile fiction.
- Belief and doubt -- Juvenile fiction.
- Passenger trains -- Juvenile fiction.
- Children -- Juvenile fiction.
- Voyages and travels -- Juvenile fiction.
- North Pole -- Juvenile fiction.
- Santa Claus -- Fiction.
- Christmas -- Fiction.
- North Pole -- Fiction.
- Belief and doubt.
- Passenger trains.
- Santa Claus.
- Voyages and travels.
- Arctic Ocean -- North Pole.
User lists with this item (50)
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Winners & Honor Books(89 items)
by ljerniga updated 2014-03-19
- Caldecott Winners & Honor Books(174 items)
by ljerniga updated 2014-03-12
- Caldecott Awards(315 items)
by ccicchetti updated 2014-03-07
- Caldecott Medal Winners(74 items)
by ljerniga updated 2014-02-19
- Caldecott Award(311 items)
by sarahridinger updated 2014-02-17