Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||National Action Committee on the Status of Women|
|Additional Physical Format:||Online version:
Vickers, Jill, 1942-
Politics as if women mattered.
Toronto ; Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, ©1993
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Jill Vickers; Pauline Rankin; Christine Appelle
|ISBN:||0802058507 9780802058508 0802067573 9780802067579|
|Description:||xvi, 347 pages ; 23 cm|
|Contents:||Introduction : NAC and women's politics in Quebec ; NAC and women's politics in the first nations ; NAC and the politics of the 'new force' ; NAC as the coordinating institution of the English-Canadian women's movement ; Highlights of NAC's development --
1. The intellectual and political context for the development of NAC : An overview of women's movements and the National Action Committee ; Canadian political culture and Canadian women's movements ; Radical influences on feminist political culture ; NAC's political-opportunity structure: the Canadian political system --
2. NAC in the shadow of the royal commission: the founding era, 1972-1978 : 'Social' movements and the political process ; The founding of NAC --
3. The struggle for NAC: the transitional era, 1979-1982 : The issues in conflict: grafting on a radical grass roots ; Two coalitions competing for the future of NAC --
4. A new Parliament of women: institutionalizing NAC, 1982-1988 : Getting NAC 'back on track' ; The great leap forward: the expansion examined ; Opposition on the right ; Organizational review --
5. Agency, leadership, representation, and democracy in NAC : A revolution of rising expectations: NAC member groups ; Leadership and accountability: is anyone here in charge? ; Representation: the heart of the matter ; Process and democracy in NAC --
6. The policy process: structures for a new Parliament of women : Changing conceptions of the policy process in NAC ; Evolving policy structures in NAC ; NAC's ability to deal with short-term policy issues ; NAC's approach to long-term policy issues --
7. Feminist ideology and policy making in NAC : In search of a framework: understanding the ideological trends in NAC ; The development of a feminist ideological spectrum in NAC: some benchmark issues ; From a status-of-women approach to a feminist politics --
8. Conclusion : What is success? ; Can NAC's role as a Parliament of women continue? ; Is radical liberalism outmoded as a cultural basis for NAC politics? ; Will NAC survive? --
Appendixes : A. Ideological forces among Anglophone NAC delegates, 984 AGM ; B. Groups affiliated with NAC by type, circa 1987-1988.
|Responsibility:||Jill Vickers, Pauline Rankin, and Christine Appelle.|
- National Action Committee on the Status of Women.
- Women's rights -- Canada.
- Women -- Canada -- Social conditions.
- National Action Committee on the Status of Women (Canada)
- Comité canadien d'action sur le statut de la femme.
- Féminisme -- Canada.
- Femmes -- Droits -- Canada.
- Femmes -- Canada -- Conditions sociales.
- Women -- Social conditions.
- Women's rights.
- Soziale Situation.
- Womens' organisations