Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Franklin Dexter; Samuel Atkins Eliot; William Havard Eliot; Charles Folsom; William Howard Gardiner; John Chipman Gray; F W P Greenwood; Charles G Loring; William Powell Mason; John Gorham Palfrey; Theophilus Parsons; Octavius Pickering; William Hickling Prescott; Jared Sparks; John Ware; Henry Warren|
|Material Type:||Graphic, Photograph|
|Document Type:||Visual material, Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
John Adams Whipple
|Notes:||The Club was formed in 1818 and eventually included twenty-four members. All but one of the members graduated from Harvard College between 1810 and 1817 and held prominent positions within Boston society. Meetings were held in the homes of individual members. The club dissolved in the 1850s due to political differences between the membership.
Photographs are attributed to the Boston photographer John Adams Whipple based on photographic technique, posing, and studio furniture.
Oval portraits are mounted and pasted down on heavy white wove paper with gold edges. Single sheet of white paper interleaved between portraits.
Photographs bound in album with full black leather over boards. Front and back boards stamped with elaborate gilt border design. Partial title ("Portraits") and scroll embellishment stamped in gold on spine.
Title inscribed in brown ink on page one.
A later portrait of Jared Sparks is pasted down over the original album portrait.
|Description:||1 photograph album (16 photographic prints) : salted paper prints ; sheets 33 x 25 cm.|
- Dexter, Franklin, -- 1793-1857 -- Portraits.
- Eliot, Samuel Atkins, -- 1798-1862 -- Portraits.
- Eliot, William Havard, -- 1796-1831 -- Portraits.
- Folsom, Charles, -- 1794-1872 -- Portraits.
- Gardiner, William Howard, -- 1797-1882 -- Portraits.
- Gray, John Chipman, -- 1793-1881 -- Portraits.
- Greenwood, F. W. P. -- (Francis William Pitt), -- 1797-1843 -- Portraits.
- Loring, Charles G. -- (Charles Greely), -- 1794-1867 -- Portraits.
- Mason, William Powell, -- 1791-1867 -- Portraits.
- Palfrey, John Gorham, -- 1796-1881 -- Portraits.
- Parsons, Theophilus, -- 1797-1882 -- Portraits.
- Pickering, Octavius, -- 1791-1868 -- Portraits.
- Prescott, William Hickling, -- 1796-1859 -- Portraits.
- Sparks, Jared, -- 1789-1866 -- Portraits.
- Ware, John, -- 1795-1864 -- Portraits.
- Warren, Henry, -- 1795-1869 -- Portraits.
- Harvard College (1780- ) -- Alumni and alumnae -- Pictorial works.
- Club (Boston, Mass.) -- Pictorial works.
- Clubs -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- Pictorial works.