Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||James Meredith; James Meredith; James Meredith|
|Material Type:||Biography, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Charles W Eagles
|Awards:||Lillian Smith Book Award, 2010|
|Description:||560 pages,  pages of plates : illustrations, map ; 25 cm|
|Contents:||Ole Miss and race. "Welcome to Ole Miss, where everybody speaks" ; Following community mores : J.D. Williams and postwar race relations ; "I love colored people, but in their place" : segregation at Ole Miss ; "Negroes who didn't know their place" : early attempts at integration ; They will "want to dance with our girls" : unwritten rules and rebel athletics ; "Mississippi madness" : Will Campbell and Religious Emphasis Week ; Nemesis of the Southern way of life : Jim Silver ; "On the brink of disaster" : defending States' rights, anticommunism, and segregation ; "Thought control" : the editor and the professor --
James Meredith. The making of a militant conservative : J.H. Meredith ; "I regret to inform you --
" ; Meredith v. Fair I : "Delay, harassment, and masterly inactivity" ; Meredith v. Fair II : a "legal jungle" ; Negotiations : a game of checkers --
A fortress of segregation falls. Initial skirmishing : September 20-25, 1962 ; Confrontations : September 26-30, 1962 ; "A maelstrom of savagery and hatred" : the riot ; "Prisoner of war in a strange struggle" : Meredith at Ole Miss ; J.H. Meredith, Class of '63 ; "The fight for men's minds."
|Responsibility:||Charles W. Eagles.|
"Eagles's work is extraordinarily well researched. . . . The resulting narrative provides an important picture for readers today of the ugliness and hypocrisy of segregation through one individual's
- University of Mississippi -- History.
- Meredith, James, -- 1933-
- College integration -- Mississippi -- Oxford -- History.
- African Americans -- Civil rights.
- Civil rights -- Mississippi -- Oxford -- History.
- Oxford <Miss.> / University of Mississippi.
- Civil rights -- Oxford (Miss.) -- History.
- African Americans -- Civil rights
- Civil rights -- Mississippi -- Oxford -- History
- College integration -- Mississippi -- Oxford -- History
- Meredith, James, 1933-
- University of Mississippi -- History
- University of Mississippi.
- Civil rights.
- College integration.
- Mississippi -- Oxford.