Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Named Person:||Joseph Papp; Joseph Papp; Joseph Papp; Raul Julia; Peter MacNicol; Gail Merrifield Papp; William Shakespeare|
|Document Type:||Visual material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Joseph Papp; Raul Julia; Peter MacNicol; Gail Merrifield Papp; Ricklie Stone; Patrick Keating; Florida State University. School of Theatre.; WFSU-TV (Television station : Tallahassee, Fla.)
|Notes:||This video separated from the New York Shakespeare Festival collection, *T-Mss 1993-028.
Credits on tape.
|Event notes:||Videotaped at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida ca. October 21 through November 3, 1985. Broadcast on WFSU-TV, Tallahassee, Florida in 1986; exact air date is unknown.|
|Description:||1 videocassette (VHS) (29 min.) : sound, color SP ; 1/2 in.|
|Series Title:||Joseph Papp Public Theater/New York Shakespeare Festival Moving Image Collection|
|Other Titles:||Joseph Papp : related television coverage,
New York Shakespeare Festival : related television coverage,
|Responsibility:||[produced by] WFSU-TV Tallahassee in cooperation with the Florida State University School of Theatre ; produced and written by Ricklie Stone ; executive producer, Patrick Keating.|
Coverage of producer/director Joseph Papp's stint as professor at Florida State University where, as part of his occupancy of the Maximillian E.and Marion O. Eminent Scholar Chair in Theatre, he taught for two weeks. Includes footage of Papp teaching a Shakespearean acting class, actors Raul Julia and Peter MacNicol assisting in the class and Papp's wife, Gail Merrifield, director of play development at the Public Theater, conducting a playwriting workshop. Discussion includes Papp's career and accomplishments; his qualities as a producer, director and as a teacher; Papp's views on teaching drama in contrast with directing professionally; his knowledge of Shakespearean texts and the influence of Shakespeare in his life and work; Merrifield's work developing plays for the Public Theater; and Julia and MacNicol's views on Papp and their experiences working with him. Includes footage of Papp engaged in various public activities in Florida.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Papp, Joseph.
- Papp, Joseph -- Interviews.
- Papp, Joseph -- Friends and associates.
- Julia, Raul -- Interviews.
- MacNicol, Peter, -- 1954- -- Interviews.
- Papp, Gail Merrifield -- Interviews.
- New York Shakespeare Festival Public Theater.
- Florida State University. -- School of Theatre. -- Maximillian E.and Marion O. Hoffman Eminent Scholar Chair in Theatre.
- Theatrical producers and directors.
- Theatrical producers and directors -- Interviews.
- Theatrical producers and directors -- Education.
- Shakespeare, William, -- 1564-1616 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Drama -- Study and teaching -- Florida.