Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Notes:||"First published with the title Levantado do chão in 1980 by Editorial Caminho, SA, Lisbon"--T.p. verso.|
|Description:||365 p. ; 24 cm.|
|Other Titles:||Levantado do chão.|
|Responsibility:||José Saramago ; translated from the Portuguese by Margaret Jull Costa.|
"First published in 1980, the City of Lisbon Prize-winning Raised from the Ground follows the changing fortunes of the Mau Tempo family-poor landless peasants not unlike Saramago's own grandparents. Set in Alentejo, a southern province of Portugal known for its vast agricultural estates, the novel charts the lives of the Mau Tempos as national and international events rumble on in the background-the coming of the republic in Portugual, the two World Wars, and an attempt on the dictator Salazar's life. Yet nothing really impinges on the grim reality of the farm laborers' lives until the first communist stirrings"--Publisher's information.
Retrieving notes about this item
- FICTION / Literary.
- Agricultural laborers -- Portugal -- Alentejo -- Fiction.
- Families -- Portugal -- Alentejo -- Fiction.
- Poor -- Portugal -- Alentejo -- Fiction.
- Portugal -- Social conditions -- 20th century -- Fiction.
- Portugal -- History -- 20th century -- Fiction.
- Alentejo (Portugal) -- Fiction.