Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||Henry Goings|
|Material Type:||Biography, Government publication, State or province government publication|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Henry Goings; Calvin Schermerhorn; Michael Plunkett; Edward Gaynor
|ISBN:||9780813932385 0813932386 9780813932408 0813932408|
|Description:||xxxvi, 157 pages : maps ; 24 cm.|
|Contents:||1. My birth and birth place in Virginia ; My name, Elijah Turner ; Changes from one master to another ; In North Carolina ; Tennessee ; Alabama ; Georgia ; Mississippi ; New Orleans ; Emigrating from plantation to plantation ; My marriage ; Death of my last master --
2. My change of name and escape from slavery ; Through Tennessee ; Kentucky ; Illinois ; Indiana ; Ohio to Michigan ; Employed at various places, and at Perryburg (Ohio) --
3. Landed in Canada ; Nearly victimized into slavery again ; Returns after his wife ; Trial at Perrysburg ; Escape to Canada ; Marriage of second wife --
4. Observations on slavery ; The present war ; The church ; The Irish orator, Shiells --
5. Remarks on some of the southern states, and emigration to them --
Appendixes : A. Maps ; B. Interviews with "Henry Gowens" and "Mrs. Henry Gowens" ; C. Letter to the editor, by Henry Goins ; D. "Farm for sale" notice showing Henry Goings as sales agent.
|Series Title:||Carter G. Woodson Institute series.|
|Responsibility:||Henry Goings ; edited by Calvin Schermerhorn, Michael Plunkett, and Edward Gaynor.|
"Rambles of a Runaway from Southern Slavery, " the compelling story of a lesser-known fugitive, is a welcome addition to the literature on runaways who escaped to Canada. This narrative of Henry
- Goings, Henry, -- approximately 1810-
- Slaves -- United States -- Biography.
- Freedmen -- United States -- Biography.
- African Americans -- Canada -- Biography.
- Slave narratives -- United States.
- Slaves -- United States -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
- African Americans -- Social conditions -- 19th century.