Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Young adult fiction
Pura Belpre Award
Dust jackets (Binding)
Young adult works
|Named Person:||Francisco Jiménez; Francisco Jimenez; Francisco Jiménez|
|Material Type:||Fiction, Secondary (senior high) school, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|ISBN:||9780547250304 0547250304 9780618038510 0618038515|
|Notes:||Sequel to: Breaking through and The circuit.|
|Awards:||Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, 2009.
Pura BelpreÌ Author Honor, 2009.
|Description:||vi, 196 p. : ill.,  p. of plates ; 19 cm.|
|Contents:||College bound --
Moving in --
Unexpected turns --
The making of a soldier --
A compromise --
Cervantes Hall --
Reaching out --
A stranger's gift --
Making ends meet --
At a loss --
A Christmas break --
It didn't fit --
Soul Mate --
Home away from home --
In a cell --
A secret revealed --
An American citizen --
Memories of a barrack --
In Solidarity --
A note from the author.
This volume is the autobiographical account of the author's transition from migrant living on California's central coast to the life of a college student. He chronicles his college years and introduces the people who befriended him as well as those who had prejudices against Mexicans. Throughout his story, the difficulties of his transition from family life to college life are evident. His palpable fear of failure was mitigated by those who helped him recognize his worth and develop and strengthen his character. The book ends as he is bound for graduate school at Columbia University. The author poignantly relates his family's struggles and how their teamwork enabled him to attend college. While the book relates his trials and successes, it also describes how his family members overcame their own obstacles.
- Mexican Americans -- Juvenile fiction.
- Jiménez, Francisco, -- 1943- -- Juvenile fiction.
- Migrant agricultural laborers -- Juvenile fiction.
- College students -- Juvenile fiction.
- Agricultural laborers -- Juvenile fiction.
- California -- Juvenile fiction.
- Jimenez, Francisco, -- 1943-
- Migrant agricultural laborers -- Fiction.
- College students -- Fiction.
- Agricultural laborers -- Fiction.
- California -- Fiction.
- Jiménez, Francisco, -- 1943-
- Agricultural laborers.
- College students.
- Mexican Americans.
- Migrant agricultural laborers.
User lists with this item (15)
- Pura Belpre Award(70 items)
by sarahridinger updated 2016-03-15
- Pura Belpre Medal(92 items)
by ccicchetti updated 2016-03-07
- Woodson Book Awards(177 items)
by ccicchetti updated 2016-02-29
- CRC Holdings: Books: Juvenile and Young Adult(49 items)
by CSUF_CRC updated 2016-02-02
- Pura Belpré Honor Books (Author and Illustrator)(31 items)
by dordtlibrary updated 2016-02-01