skip to content
The Reactivity of Carboxylic Acid and Ester Groups in the Functionalized Interfacial Region of 'Polyethylene Carboxylic Acid' (PE-CO2H) and Derivatives: Differentiation of the Functional Groups into Shallow and Deep Subsets Based on a Comparison of Contact Angle and ATR-IR Measurements. Preview this item
ClosePreview this item
Checking...

The Reactivity of Carboxylic Acid and Ester Groups in the Functionalized Interfacial Region of 'Polyethylene Carboxylic Acid' (PE-CO2H) and Derivatives: Differentiation of the Functional Groups into Shallow and Deep Subsets Based on a Comparison of Contact Angle and ATR-IR Measurements.

Author: George M Whitesides; HARVARD UNIV CAMBRIDGE MA DEPT OF CHEMISTRY.
Publisher: Ft. Belvoir Defense Technical Information Center OCT 1986.
Edition/Format:   Print book : English
Database:WorldCat
Summary:
The carboxylic acid groups present in the functionalized interface of polyethylene carboxylic acid (PE-CO2H, a material prepared from low-density polyethylene film have been differentiated by reaction with aqueous chromic acid) into two subsets: those sufficiently close to the surface of the polymer to influence its wettability by water and those too deep to do so. This differentiation was accomplished by taking  Read more...
Rating:

(not yet rated) 0 with reviews - Be the first.

Subjects
More like this

 

Find a copy in the library

&AllPage.SpinnerRetrieving; Finding libraries that hold this item...

Details

Document Type: Book
All Authors / Contributors: George M Whitesides; HARVARD UNIV CAMBRIDGE MA DEPT OF CHEMISTRY.
OCLC Number: 227689462
Description: 77 p.

Abstract:

The carboxylic acid groups present in the functionalized interface of polyethylene carboxylic acid (PE-CO2H, a material prepared from low-density polyethylene film have been differentiated by reaction with aqueous chromic acid) into two subsets: those sufficiently close to the surface of the polymer to influence its wettability by water and those too deep to do so. This differentiation was accomplished by taking advantage of differences in rates of esterification of carboxylic acid groups in different regions of the functionalized interface, and of differences in rates of hydrolysis of ester groups derived from them. The subset of functional groups influencing wettability comprises <30% of the total groups present in the functionalized interface and appears to be homogeneous in its chemical reactivity. The remaining groups (approx. 70% of the total) do not directly influence wettability and appear to become less reactive with increasing depth in the polymer. The surface and subsurface carboxylic acid and ester moieties are both less reactive in hydrolysis and formation reactions than are these groups in organic molecules in solution. Reactivities of the interfacial functional groups depend on structure in ways having no analogy in reactions in solution.

Reviews

User-contributed reviews
Retrieving GoodReads reviews...
Retrieving DOGObooks reviews...

Tags

Be the first.
Confirm this request

You may have already requested this item. Please select Ok if you would like to proceed with this request anyway.

Linked Data


<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/227689462>
library:oclcnum"227689462"
library:placeOfPublication
library:placeOfPublication
rdf:typeschema:Book
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:about
schema:contributor
schema:contributor
schema:datePublished"OCT 1986"
schema:datePublished"1986"
schema:description"The carboxylic acid groups present in the functionalized interface of polyethylene carboxylic acid (PE-CO2H, a material prepared from low-density polyethylene film have been differentiated by reaction with aqueous chromic acid) into two subsets: those sufficiently close to the surface of the polymer to influence its wettability by water and those too deep to do so. This differentiation was accomplished by taking advantage of differences in rates of esterification of carboxylic acid groups in different regions of the functionalized interface, and of differences in rates of hydrolysis of ester groups derived from them. The subset of functional groups influencing wettability comprises <30% of the total groups present in the functionalized interface and appears to be homogeneous in its chemical reactivity. The remaining groups (approx. 70% of the total) do not directly influence wettability and appear to become less reactive with increasing depth in the polymer. The surface and subsurface carboxylic acid and ester moieties are both less reactive in hydrolysis and formation reactions than are these groups in organic molecules in solution. Reactivities of the interfacial functional groups depend on structure in ways having no analogy in reactions in solution."@en
schema:exampleOfWork<http://worldcat.org/entity/work/id/137388521>
schema:inLanguage"en"
schema:name"The Reactivity of Carboxylic Acid and Ester Groups in the Functionalized Interfacial Region of 'Polyethylene Carboxylic Acid' (PE-CO2H) and Derivatives: Differentiation of the Functional Groups into Shallow and Deep Subsets Based on a Comparison of Contact Angle and ATR-IR Measurements."@en
schema:numberOfPages"77"
schema:publication
schema:publisher
wdrs:describedby

Content-negotiable representations

Close Window

Please sign in to WorldCat 

Don't have an account? You can easily create a free account.