|提及的人：||Francine Prose; Francine Prose; Francine Prose|
|描述：||273 p. ; 22 cm.|
|内容：||Close reading --
Learning from Chekhov --
Reading for courage --
Books to be read immediately.
Before there were workshops and degrees, how did aspiring writers learn to write? By reading the work of their predecessors and contemporaries, says author and teacher Prose. Prose invites you on a guided tour of the tools and the tricks of the masters. She reads the very best writers and discovers why their work has endured. She takes pleasure in the magnificent sentences of Philip Roth and the breathtaking paragraphs of Isaac Babel; she is moved by the brilliant characterization in George Eliot's Middlemarch. She looks to John Le Carre for how to advance plot through dialogue, to Flannery O'Connor for the cunning use of the telling detail, and to James Joyce and Katherine Mansfield for clever examples of how to employ gesture to create character. She cautions readers to slow down and pay attention to words, the raw material out of which literature is crafted.
- English language -- Rhetoric.
- Creative writing.
- Authors -- Books and reading.
- Prose, Francine, -- 1947- -- Books and reading.
- Prose, Francine -- Books and reading, -- 1947-
- Prose, Francine, -- 1947-
- Books and reading.
- Things to Check Out(38 资料)
由 kab152 已更新 2013-06-19
- Confessions of a bibliophile(51 资料)
由 email@example.com 已更新 2013-04-08
- First Semester Reading List as of 1/7/13(23 资料)
由 searfoorce003175 已更新 2013-01-07
- Things to Check Out(5 资料)
由 suebremner 已更新 2013-01-04
- to read someday(488 资料)
由 plmnreads 已更新 大约一个月前