Records and correspondence
Personal narratives, Confederate
|提及的人：||Robert E Lee; Robert E Lee; Robert E Lee; Robert E (Soldat) Lee; Robert E Lee|
Elizabeth Brown Pryor; Robert E Lee
|描述：||xxiv, 658 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm|
|内容：||Torn to pieces --
The torchbearers --
The long gray line --
Long to be remembered --
Seven Arias --
The family circle --
Humanity and the law --
Black-eyed fancies --
The headache bag --
Mutable shield --
Theory meets reality --
"Upon a fearful summons" --
Field of honor --
"A general ... is a rare product" --
The political animal --
Ragged individualists --
A leap in the dark --
Blurred vision --
"If vanquished, I am still victorious."
|責任：||Elizabeth Brown Pryor.|
For the 200th anniversary of Robert E. Lee's birth, a new portrait drawing on previously unpublished correspondence. Lee's war correspondence is well known, but the great majority of his most intimate letters have never been made public. They reveal a far more complex and contradictory man than the one who comes most readily to the imagination. This book presents dozens of these letters in their entirety, most by Lee but a few by family members. Each letter becomes a departure point for an essay that shows what the letter uniquely reveals about Lee's time or character. The material covers all aspects of Lee's life--his early years, West Point, his work as an engineer, his relationships with his children and his slaves, his decision to join the South, his thoughts on military strategy, and his disappointments after defeat in the Civil War.--From publisher description.
- Lee, Robert E. -- (Robert Edward), -- 1807-1870.
- Lee, Robert E. -- (Robert Edward), -- 1807-1870 -- Correspondence.
- Generals -- United States -- Biography.
- Generals -- Confederate States of America -- Biography.
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives, Confederate.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army -- Biography.
- Confederate States of America. -- Army.
- United States.
- United States -- Confederate States of America.
- Lee, Robert E. (Soldat)
- Lee, Robert E., -- 1807-1870.