Find a copy online
Links to this item
Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Additional Physical Format:||Print version:
Bevington, Douglas, 1970-
Rebirth of environmentalism.
Washington, DC : Island Press, c2009
|Material Type:||Document, Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Internet Resource, Computer File|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Reproduction Notes:||Electronic reproduction. [S.l.] : HathiTrust Digital Library, 2011. MiAaHDL|
|Description:||1 online resource (xiii, 285 p.) : ill.|
|Details:||Master and use copy. Digital master created according to Benchmark for Faithful Digital Reproductions of Monographs and Serials, Version 1. Digital Library Federation, December 2002.|
|Contents:||1. The rise of grassroots biodiversity activism and the rebirth of environmentalism : Grassroots biodiversity groups and the U.S. environmental movement ; Three grassroots biodiversity protection campaigns ; Elements of success ; The death of environmentalism or the rebirth of environmentalism? --
2. Origins of the grassroots biodiversity groups : Origins of the modern environmental movement ; National environmental organizations ; Earth First! ; Grassroots biodiversity groups --
3. Never mind the nationals: the Headwaters Forest campaign : Redwoods, Earth First! and the origins of the Headwaters Forest Campaign ; EPIC, the Sierra Club, and litigation ; Forests Forever and the Grand Accord ; Focus on Headwaters Forest ; New organizations and tactics ; The September 15th Rally of 1995 ; The Headwaters Forest Coordinating Committee ; The September 15th Rally of 1996 and the deal ; Funding issues ; Divisions over the deal ; Organizing challenges in the wake of the deal announcement ; Increasing repression: pepper spray and the death of David "Gypsy" Chain ; New allies: salmon protection, rural communities, and steelworkers ; The culmination of the deal ; Was the Headwaters deal a victory? ; After the deal ; The legacy of the Headwaters Campaign --
4. Transforming a national: the John Muir Sierrans and the Zero-Cut campaign : Old-growth forests and the northern spotted owl ; Origins of Zero Cut: protect our woods and heartwood ; Growth of Zero Cut: the Native Forest Council ; Reforming the Sierra Club: origins of the John Muir Sierrans ; The salvage rider ; Chad Hanson and the Second Ballot Initiative ; John Muir Project and the National Forest Protection and Restoration Act ; The Sierra Club Board of Directors ; Beyond the Sierra Club: timber sale litigation and the National Forest Protection Alliance ; The roadless rule and the Heritage Forests Campaign ; Fire and funding during the George W. Bush years ; Achieving more by being bold --
5. Becoming a national: the Center for Biological Diversity and endangered species litigation : The Endangered Species Act ; Jasper Carlton and the Earth First! biodiversity project ; Origins of the Center for Biological Diversity ; The Mexican spotted owl injunction ; Applying the ESA to new issues ; Early organizational growth ; Relationship to the nationals: the Endangered Species Coalition and ESA reauthorization ; Relationship to the Clinton administration: struggles over listing and critical habitat ; Expanding beyond the Southwest ; Continued growth amid the George W. Bush years ; Becoming a national: getting it right by doing it wrong --
6. Boldness has genius: the lessons of grassroots biodiversity activism for the campaign against global warming : Achieving success by avoiding constraints ; Rethinking the relationship between the grassroots and the nationals ; Grassroots activism and global warming --
Afterword: Arrival of the Obama administration --
Appendix : Origins of four biodiversity protection laws.
"In "The Rebirth of Environmentalism," Douglas Bevington tells how radical and resource-poor biodiversity activists came to be at the center of environmental policy change. Deeply researched and
- Environmentalism -- United States.
- Biodiversity -- United States.
- Environmental policy -- United States.
- Center for Biological Diversity.
- Environmental Protection Information Center.
- Sierra Club.
- NATURE / Animals / Wildlife
- SCIENCE / Life Sciences / Biological Diversity
- Environmental policy.
- United States.
- Electronic books.