Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Genre/Form:||Formulae, receipts, prescriptions|
|Named Person:||Edward H Angle; L Pierce Anthony; Alexander Graham Bell; Arthur W Browne; Henry Dreyfuss; Thomas A Edison; Elisha Gray; Edward C Kirk; J Clarence White; James William White; Samuel S White; Samuel S White|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Company.|
|Notes:||NOTE: These records are housed in remote storage. Please allow at least 24 hours for delivery.|
|Description:||148 linear ft.|
Administrative records include acts of incorporation, bylaws and amendments, minutes of stockholder meetings and biographies of James W. White (president 1881-1891) and S.S. White, Jr. (president 1912-1915). There are also papers relating to the subsidiary F.W. Stewart Corp. and to the estate of J. Clarence White.
Accounts include general ledgers, ledgers from foreign branch offices, records of patent royalties, balance sheets, sales records, and sales statistics.
Correspondence and patent records include letters from dentists seeking to interest S.S. White in their inventions and reports on inventions and improvements in dental instruments and equipment. Also included is correspondence relating to marketing and sales, patent assignments, agreements, infringements, and trademarks.
Patent application and invention files document the development of dental equipment (instruments, chairs, appliances), cements, fillings, amalgams, and alloys; dental machinery (engines, vulcanizers, sterilizers); impression trays, mouth mirrors, gas administering apparatus; cleansers, absorbents; articulators; dentimeters, inhalers; tooth powders; dental plates; work benches; tool charts and dental card record forms; mouth illuminators; jaw props; removable bridges; teeth separators; matrix retainers; and other equipment. This apparatus and equipment is depicted in photographs and trade catalogs.
Patent notebooks include records from the Patents & Projects Department, containing records of changes in products, new products, discontinuance of manufacture, disposition of patents, trademarks and designs. There are also price lists and an article on the use of electricity in dentistry. The legal papers are primarily concerned with patent infringement suits. The printed items include product information and patent and trademark descriptions of dental equipment made by the company and its competitors.
S. S. White's personal papers include some record of an 1872 partnership between White and Elisha Gray to develop a system of electro-harmonic telegraphy, including agreements between White, Gray, Thomas Edison and printed patents concerning the telephone and telegraph inventions of Gray, Alexander Graham Bell and others.
The miscellany includes catalogues and imprints as well as scattered issues of THE DENTAL COSMOS.
- Angle, Edward H. -- (Edward Hartley), -- 1855-1930.
- Anthony, L. Pierce -- (Lovick Pierce), -- 1877-
- Bell, Alexander Graham, -- 1847-1922.
- Browne, Arthur W. -- (Arthur Wesley), -- 1877-1945.
- Dreyfuss, Henry, -- 1904-1972.
- Edison, Thomas A. -- (Thomas Alva), -- 1847-1931.
- Gray, Elisha, -- 1835-1901.
- Kirk, Edward C. -- (Edward Cameron), -- 1856-1933.
- White, J. Clarence, -- d. 1922.
- White, James William, -- 1826-1891.
- White, Samuel S. -- (Samuel Stockton), -- 1822-1879.
- White, Samuel S. -- (Samuel Stockton), -- 1855-1923.
- F.W. Stewart Corporation.
- Goodyear Dental Vulcanite Company.
- S.S. White Dental Manufacturing Company.
- White Laboratories, inc.
- Dental cosmos.
- Advertising -- Dental instruments and apparatus.
- Anesthesia in dentistry.
- Antiseptics in dentistry.
- Dental amalgams.
- Dental cements.
- Dental ceramics.
- Dental instruments and apparatus.
- Dental instruments and apparatus industry -- New York.
- Dental instruments and apparatus industry -- Pennsylvania.
- Dental laboratories.
- Dental metallurgy.
- Dental technology.
- Dentistry -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions.
- Patents -- Dental instruments and apparatus.
- Trademarks -- Dental instruments and apparatus.
- Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Dental instruments and apparatus industry.
- Staten Island (New York, N.Y.) -- Dental instruments and apparatus industry.