Find a copy in the library
Finding libraries that hold this item...
|Named Person:||John Baker; John Hollis Bankhead; Hugo LaFayette Black; Walter Lawrence Bragg; Richard Henry Clarke; James Crook; J K Dixon; Samuel Engelhardt; R B Evins; R Tyler Goodwin; Bibb Graves; Thomas Heflin; Lister Hill; John Barnett Knox; Robert J Lowe; H S D Mallory; Roy Mayhall; Gessner T McCorvey; John D McQueen; W D Nesbitt; Edmund W Pettus; John J Raskob; Ben F Ray; Allen C Rominer; A G Smith; Alfred Emanuel Smith; Oscar W Underwood; James H Webb; Frances (Frank) S White|
|Document Type:||Archival Material|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
L S Bugg; Ira Trimble Champion; George Estes; Maude McClure Kelly; Marion Rushton; Jovett b 1879 Shouse; Hugh White; State Democratic Executive Committee of Alabama.
|Description:||34.67 cubic feet. (104 archives boxes and 2 oversized boxes)|
The records, primarily the correspondence, minutes and printed materials, provide valuable information on many topics such as white supremacy, state's rights, civil rights, election manipulations and the many schisms within the party. The primary correspondents include committee officers and various state, local and national committee members and political figures.
The records also provide detailed information about the more routine areas of the committee's responsibilities. A substantial portion of the collection consists of candidate files, election records, campaign materials, and records of contested elections. These records illustrate the manner in which the committee assisted and qualified candidates, supported political campaigns, and executed special and primary elections.
The records of each administration were generally maintained independently from the records of previous administrations, except in instances.
Where the chairman served more than one term. Several of the administrations were poorly documented. The bulk of the materials date from 1919 to 1951 and from 1959 to 1963.
- Baker, John.
- Bankhead, John Hollis, -- 1872-1946.
- Black, Hugo LaFayette, -- 1886-1971.
- Bragg, Walter Lawrence, -- 1835-1891.
- Clarke, Richard Henry, -- 1843-1906.
- Crook, James, -- 1841-
- Dixon, J. K. -- (James Kelly), -- 1870-
- Engelhardt, Samuel, -- 1912-1991.
- Evins, R. B. -- (Robert Benson), -- 1875-
- Goodwin, R. Tyler -- (Robert Tyler), -- 1870-
- Graves, Bibb, -- 1873-1943.
- Heflin, Thomas, -- 1869-1951.
- Hill, Lister, -- 1894-1984.
- Knox, John Barnett, -- 1857-
- Lowe, Robert J., -- 1861-
- Mallory, H. S. D. -- (Hugh Shepperd Darby), -- 1848-1920.
- Mayhall, Roy.
- McCorvey, Gessner T. -- (Gessner Tutwiler), -- 1882-1965.
- McQueen, John D.
- Nesbitt, W. D. -- (William Duncan), -- 1869-
- Pettus, Edmund W. -- (Edmund Winston), -- 1821-1907.
- Raskob, John J. -- (John Jakob), -- 1879-1950.
- Ray, Ben F.
- Rominer, Allen C.
- Smith, A. G.
- Smith, Alfred Emanuel, -- 1873-1944.
- Underwood, Oscar W. -- (Oscar Wilder), -- 1862-1929.
- Webb, James H.
- White, Frances (Frank) S., -- 1847-
- Democratic Conservative Party (Ala.)
- Democratic National Committee (U.S.)
- Democratic Party (Ala.)
- State Democratic Executive Committee (Ala.)
- State Executive Committee of the Democratic and Conservative Party (Ala.)
- Civil rights -- African Americans.
- Contested elections -- Alabama.
- Political campaigns -- Alabama.
- Elections -- Alabama.
- Elections -- Corrupt practices.
- Elections -- Statistics.
- Literacy tests (Election law)
- Local elections.
- Minorities -- Political activity.
- Nominations for office.
- Political candidates -- Alabama.
- Political clubs.
- Political conventions.
- Political parties -- Alabama.
- Political parties -- History.
- Presidents -- Election.
- Race relations.
- States' rights (American politics)
- White supremacy movements -- Alabama.
- Alabama -- Politics and government.